Keaton 5/6-7: The Seapro rides again

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

doomtrpr_z71

Keaton 5/6-7: The Seapro rides again

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

So fishing in 2022 so far this year has meant one thing....wind and more wind every time we line up a trip, this is the third trip of 22 and the weather has been windy every single time. But since my fishing partner has his anniversary next weekend we were not going to go this weekend. After getting work out of the way in Moultrie and slipping on down Friday afternoon, we knew the trip would be an adventure just from the scene at the ramp.

This guy decided to beach the boat on the ramp instead using the dock, bold choice but whatever.

A quick run south had us in good spirits, we had fish pics to send to our second boat that was en route.

Shorts or not we were at least catching something and making the rest of the crew jealous. Now Facebook swore trout were being caught in 7-8ft well we couldn't buy a bite that deep so we decided to go in close with the tide and fish some oyster bars. Turns out it was a good idea.

We found some reds and an excellent trout

Since we had our limit of reds we decided to head in and get supper from Kathi's. Imperial oysters were excellent.

The food was good as it always is at Kathi's and we were looking forward to the next morning regardless of the weather.

The morning started off with quite a bit of smack talk between our two boats....which is amusing since boat number 2 was my old seapro that a buddy of mine bought with the full disclosure that the foot could grenade at any time. Which it did...the weekend after he bought it and proceeded to run all over St Catherine's sound. But that was figured into the price and a college buddy of ours had another lower unit which after the work required to convert a 90° lower to a 60° had him back going theoretically. See he put the lower on and ran it on muffs but it didn't get an actual field test until Saturday morning. Luckily, it was indeed fixed and we got back to catching reds.

Shortly after catching some reds we decided to head to some random point in 5ft of water labeled gpsn and the seapro decided to have issues. Prop spun a hub and luckily for it's new owner there was a spare prop leftover from my ownership and since I had caught reds both days I offered to hang off the front of the cobia and swap the prop. 15 mins later and what regret I had in selling the boat was gone but he was back in action. Unfortunately this random GPS point was loaded with nothing but short seabass and we decided to head to our cabin for lunch since the weather sucked anyway. After a quick lunch break we headed back out, fishing from 5ft to 10ft looking for trout and finding very few. I did find that megabass dark sleepers while are perfect for fishing in floating grass, puffers will make that an expensive endeavor. But we picked up a few trout with the biggest going 21.5 that had to be caught hand lining since the reel broke in the fight.

While we didn't catch a ton of trout, they were generally good keepers that we did find and I'll never complain about catching reds.

I even got fresh potatoes for the fish fry

One things for sure, it's been so rough fishing in the wind this spring I have gotten used to it. But a 70qt pelican is not used to it and while Gary Loomis builds good blanks, a 70qt cooler falling into the console will cause some damage.

Fingers crossed the next trip will be more normal and not like fishing in a tropical storm. We caught most of our trout in 5-5.5ft on trout tricks.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Hit-n-Miss

Re: Keaton 5/6-7: The Seapro rides again

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Great report. Thanks for posting> We were gonna go Saturday but decided not to with the 20Knot onshore winds. Figured it would be white capping the whole time. :-D
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Hit-n-Miss wrote:Great report. Thanks for posting> We were gonna go Saturday but decided not to with the 20Knot onshore winds. Figured it would be white capping the whole time. :-D
Saturday actually wasn't that bad until 530, it got rougher at lunch and then calmed a little, but I may be just so used to fishing in wind I may have become oblivious Image

kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Good read, least y’all found a couple and sounds like had a good time considering wind and boat trouble

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:
Hit-n-Miss wrote:Great report. Thanks for posting> We were gonna go Saturday but decided not to with the 20Knot onshore winds. Figured it would be white capping the whole time. :-D
Saturday actually wasn't that bad until 530, it got rougher at lunch and then calmed a little, but I may be just so used to fishing in wind I may have become oblivious Image

I feel that on the wind note. I’ve gotten to the point where I’m shocked and surprised when it’s calm.

Tough break on the broke rod; good news is the sale them everyday; bad news them seem to get more expensive by the day.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

kenfly wrote:Good read, least y’all found a couple and sounds like had a good time considering wind and boat trouble

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, since I have a company truck now I don't turn wrenches as much so it didn't hurt me to work on the boat for 15 mins.

dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

i can fix that rod for you if it's worth keeping.if it's a Loomis blank and by those style of grips, I'm sure it's worth it. it would be better than new.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote: May 9th, 2022, 8:13 am

:smt009 Figures since I didn't go. :smt009
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

dombern34 wrote:i can fix that rod for you if it's worth keeping.if it's a Loomis blank and by those style of grips, I'm sure it's worth it. it would be better than new.
Pm sent

leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Hit-n-Miss wrote: May 9th, 2022, 4:21 pm

Same here, was planning to go but the 10-20 forecast kept me on land, looks like it wasn’t so bad.

Thanks for the great report though.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

leonreno wrote:
Hit-n-Miss wrote: May 9th, 2022, 4:21 pm

Same here, was planning to go but the 10-20 forecast kept me on land, looks like it wasn’t so bad.

Thanks for the great report though.
You're welcome, yeah even the report of Friday was off, wind supposed to be 5-10 and then build and it was 5-10 first thing Saturday morning with a small craft advisory Friday night.