Apalachee Bay Questions

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Saltydawg

Apalachee Bay Questions

Post by Saltydawg »

Realize it’s on the northern end of Big Bend Fishing but we are headed to Cape San Blas first week in June for a family vacation but will take our 20 ft Pathfinder for some St Vincent Bay fishing. Never been to San Blas, vacationed on St George last 5-6 years but they DOUBLED the rental rates for this summer so we are familiar with parts of the bay. That said, is the boat ramp at Indian Pass the only access point and is it a reasonably user friendly ramp or are there other access points? Not sure where on San Blas our beachfront rental is. Would also like to maybe try wade fishing a bit. Any advice/hints appreciated.
JeffB
Site Sponsor

Re: Apalachee Bay Questions

Post by JeffB »

I haven't done it in awhile, but, there's a little park right outside of Apalachicola going west that I prefer. But, if your on the Cape then Indian Pass is a lot closer to you. Somebody else might know of some others but that's the only 2 public places I know.
John21:6

Post by John21:6 »

Here is a link to a boat ramp finder. https://atoll.floridamarine.org/dle_gis ... mp_status/

The only ramp I've used in the area is the Battery Park Boat Ramp at the west end of the Apalachicola-Eastpoint Bridge. The ramp is suitable for boats of all sizes.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

The current really rips through Indian Pass. The ramp is serviceable and plenty deep enough for a 20 PF, but it requires some careful boat handling.

As others have noted, the ramp under the Apalachicola bridge is good anytime, just requires a longer run. If you want to try St. Joe Bay, the public ramp in town is a good one or the state park on the Cape is another. Presnell's has really upped their rates, from what I understand.

Have fun. Fishing should be good then, especially early mornings.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
klbtjtally1

Post by klbtjtally1 »

The boat ramp inside Cape San Blas park is open :wink: . Called to confirm today. Save you quite a ride and you'll be right on top of good fishing in no time.

Google pics are from 2022 and show it open. Also confirmed it's been open for awhile. You'll just need to pay the park fee.

Good luck!
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

All sjb ramps are open. Still not full parking in the state park, and I believe they’re only allowing about 30 trailers to park there each day. If headed to SVI I would launch Indian Pass or under the bridge in Appalach. Neither is problematic for a Pathy.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Should also mention the state park ramp doesn’t open until about 7:30. Even an annual pass want get you in earlier. Thought for the serious angler in summer.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Saltydawg

Post by Saltydawg »

Thx for the info especially the 7:30 am opening time as topwater is our preferred method, that’s one of the reasons we loved St George Island so much, with a yearly pass you could get the boat in the water at the state park before daylight, run maybe a mile to Rattlesnake Pt fish/catch all you want and be back at rental before the ladies and kids were really up and moving hence no one upset. But when they doubled the rental rates we were out.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Don’t be tricked into believing topwater is only a morning game. Launched in psj this morning. Dozens of trout and 3 reds before a storm chased us off. All on top. Boat cleaned and back at the cape by 12
Saltydawg

Post by Saltydawg »

Thx Showboat, the real beauty of early morning topwater is the getting back to the house before the ladies and kids really get moving good thus avoiding potential tensions and/or bloodshed.
klbtjtally1

Post by klbtjtally1 »

Indian Pass can be a real bear if you are not familiar with the landing and can be down right dangerous on a bad day.

I would avoid unless you are familiar with the pass and what it offers. I would put in East if at all possible.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

You are getting some good advice. Fish SJ Bay from the Park Ramp. It's a protected easy ramp and a really neat place to fish. Lots of clear water and pretty sand out on the tip. Usually protected water and good family fishing. No rocks or really anything to run over other than it's surprisingly shallow at times so use your eyes and your GPS map to stay out of the shallows. SJ Bay is very similar to the backside of SGI and I think you will adapt well to fishing there.

Indian Pass and the St. Vincents area are the next level up. That ramp has been many a boater's nightmare. The current RIPS thru there and the big concrete seawall has put a big azz dent in many a rubrail. The water is definitely not clear but varies widely with the wind. Oyster bars in murky water are not Pathfinder friendly, so beware.

Maybe it's just me but in my Pathy I would much rather fish SJ Bay. It's such a beautiful place and if Showboat can catch fish there then anybody should be able to. lol :-D
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton