T-Top vs. Bimini

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

rob4auburn

T-Top vs. Bimini

Post by rob4auburn »

Currently have a 2005 Scout 17.5’ CC boat with a bimini top. Looking at a 2021 Scout 19.5’ CC with a manufacturer installed T-Top. I am an inshore fisherman with occasional reef trip. Boating around to the islands and just enjoying the view in addition to fishing with wife, adult kids, and friends. Been looking at a lot of pros and cons to bimini vs T-Top. One thing mentioned was getting under bridges. Anyone on here know if you can go under the Hwy 98 bridge on the Wakulla with a T-Top? Other con mentioned for T-Top was less shade coverage and some casting interference. You guys experience any issues casting with a T-Top? Looks to me like it would not be a big deal.

If you guys have any thoughts on pros/cons, I would appreciate them.

Thanks! Tight lines!
flatsbroke22

Re: T-Top vs. Bimini

Post by flatsbroke22 »

I’ve had both and the t top is by far the best option for fishing. When fishing you will learn how to cast to prevent hitting the t top. Not a big deal at all plus it’s great to get other rods up out of the way in the rocket launchers. Fishing with a bimini is darn near impossible, unless fishing solely from the bow. Worst part with a bimini is it’s in the way when it’s down too. When folded down it sits on top of all your aft compartments. Now for just cruising around the bimini is definitely going to give you more shade but they do make canopies that attach to your t top that will cover pretty much your entire boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Tops are like most boat accessories, trolling motor, power pole, etc. It depends on how you use the boat most of the time.

A 19' boat is probably the minimum size for a T-top. It will impact your fishing if you have 3 anglers who like to cast and retrieve. It does act like a sail so drifting and working the trolling motor is affected. It will also provide much-appreciated shade, adds rod holders, and makes it easy to read your GPS.

For most casual inshore guys with a family, the T-Top is a good choice, and it will definitely fit under any bridges you are likely to encounter. It does make fitting into a standard garage a no-go so storage might be another consideration.

So......casual family fishing and boating, the T-Top is a god-send. For two hard core guys pounding a shoreline for Reds, not so much.

Scouts are quality boats......enjoy. :)
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

flatsbroke22 wrote: July 25th, 2022, 11:59 am I’ve had both and the t top is by far the best option for fishing. When fishing you will learn how to cast to prevent hitting the t top. Not a big deal at all plus it’s great to get other rods up out of the way in the rocket launchers. Fishing with a bimini is darn near impossible, unless fishing solely from the bow. Worst part with a bimini is it’s in the way when it’s down too. When folded down it sits on top of all your aft compartments. Now for just cruising around the bimini is definitely going to give you more shade but they do make canopies that attach to your t top that will cover pretty much your entire boat.

X2
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
rob4auburn

Post by rob4auburn »

Thanks for the thoughts!
STMU

Post by STMU »

Agree with the comments, but think it's worth adding that depending on your model a bimini top is pretty easy to remove. I fish a lot out of my boat, and when I do, the bimini top stays at home (gets in the way otherwise). However, when I have the kids and the dog, it comes back up. Mine only has two screws with big plastic knobs for easy removal. The whole process takes 2-3 minutes, and I get the best of both worlds. It also was a fraction of the cost compared to a t-top.

I doubt you'll have too many bridge issues in this region with the T-top, however, if you travel that may be a different story. I fish a lot in Tampa, S. FL, and the keys, and many of those places will have low bridges. Learned the hard way 5 years ago in the keys. Our boat would only fit under one bridge at low tide. Had to plan accordingly, or run an extra 10 miles around another key just to get to a taller bridge. If you don't travel, it's no problem, but something to think about.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

To me the magic word in your post was wife, the Bimini gives shade to wife and kiddos and folds down when it's just the guys fishing seriously. A ttop looks better but it's in the way more than it helps in my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D I have an 8x8' Bimini and it is only on the boat during Scallop season. The rest of the time it is off the boat. :-D
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

I have a bimini top that goes on the boat when the family is on the boat or if fishing July through August. It’s usually only two of us fishing, and with the Bimini up it’s not really in the way and provides a lot of shade when needed. I do agree a T-top would provide a lot more utility such as rod storage, maybe beam bay storage, etc but it just seems it would provide minimal shade unless you add the extra canopies that are mighty pricey. They both have their pros and cons.
satsuma

Post by satsuma »

leonreno wrote: July 27th, 2022, 10:00 am I have a bimini top that goes on the boat when the family is on the boat or if fishing July through August. It’s usually only two of us fishing, and with the Bimini up it’s not really in the way and provides a lot of shade when needed. I do agree a T-top would provide a lot more utility such as rod storage, maybe beam bay storage, etc but it just seems it would provide minimal shade unless you add the extra canopies that are mighty pricey. They both have their pros and cons.
Same for me. I have a 1860 G3 and have really enjoyed the bimini when my wife and kids are on the boat in the heat of summer. It stays off the rest of the year. I made sure that the mounting hardware was really simple to remove for the times that I want to bimini out of the way.