Sidescan on the flats

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

geofish

Sidescan on the flats

Post by geofish »

Went out Sunday and caught a few trout in 4-5 feet, water temp 74 deg, very clear water on the east flats. Fish seemed scattered and it made me wonder - why don't I ever see trout on my sidescan on the flats when I'm slow trolling or looking for a new spot?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

doomtrpr_z71

Re: Sidescan on the flats

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

It usually works best moving 3-5mph, hard to pick them out though if they are down in the grass.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

geofish wrote: November 6th, 2022, 6:29 pm Went out Sunday and caught a few trout in 4-5 feet, water temp 74 deg, very clear water on the east flats. Fish seemed scattered and it made me wonder - why don't I ever see trout on my sidescan on the flats when I'm slow trolling or looking for a new spot?

You may not see fish, but you will absolutely see the rock piles on the east flats in that depth.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

I believe you would be better served using your eyes than side scan.

Noticing a weedline, current break, color change, bait scattering, birds diving, and or all of the above will lead you to the fish.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
geofish

Post by geofish »

Ok, that's what I've been doing. Thought maybe I was missing something.

fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

In 4-5 feet of water you are probably only seeing about 2-3 feet on either side of the boat...maybe as much a 5 feet. I was convinced I needed side scan when I bought my last unit, only to realize that the water I usually fish is too shallow for it to be of any real use. It does however, shine in 10feet or more water depth.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

fishinfool wrote: November 8th, 2022, 8:10 am In 4-5 feet of water you are probably only seeing about 2-3 feet on either side of the boat...maybe as much a 5 feet. I was convinced I needed side scan when I bought my last unit, only to realize that the water I usually fish is too shallow for it to be of any real use. It does however, shine in 10feet or more water depth.
You can change how far out your beam goes to the sides
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven