St. Marks - Late post 11-23-22

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SouthernPointe

St. Marks - Late post 11-23-22

Post by SouthernPointe »

Finally was able to get out on the big pond, the first in months. My brother in law, who is a missionary in Brazil, and has been accustomed to catching big peacocks has begged me to take him over the past month. The stars aligned and tides and weather was perfect with a 10 mph breeze out of the NNE. So my son and brother and I set out. We were the last to arrive at the fort and last to leave.

We fished the afternoon outgoing tide. Water was 58-62 degrees and I would call it clear. We managed an overslot red at 30” before the tide changed. We caught roughly 20 reds with only two not being in the slot (one over and one under). We used spoons but I feel anything would have worked at one point.
SouthernPointe

Re: St. Marks - Late post 11-23-22

Post by SouthernPointe »

Would post some pics but can’t figure out how…..
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Nice!! The reds are diff my favorite to catch, so much fun, glad y’all were able to get on some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Nice! I’ve always said I was going to go down south and catch a Peacock Bass 1 day. Somebody recently gave me some nontraditional spoons out of an old tackle box that have a name but I have no clue what it is. I was able to find a few but not many videos of them on YouTube once but can’t find them again. One video was of a guy catching monster Reds way way way out in the flats in deep water, but not what I’d call full blown offshore. I never really preferred spoons but these have me excited.

Today I actually took one and made something else out of it. I think I have an idea how to catch some Redfish with what I made. I hadn’t touched a fishing pole since before pecan season but I’m about finished with that so I went down to the US 90 Aucilla River bridge just to see if it would swim right. It did and something big grabbed it. Now I know it was probably just a Blackfish which will bite anything lol but that’s good enough for me for starters, and still it’s December and there wasn’t alot of water there.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I would like to see your home made lure, can you post a pic?
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I’ll definitely have to post it. I’m taking a break from working so I better not go get into my fishing stuff right now. If I did I might not get any more work done lol!
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I’ve since found out that I wasn’t the first person to invent this lol! It was the old Kastmaster spoons that I had. I took the treble hook off and put a bass hook on it. On the bass hook went a plastic worm and it looked just brilliant in the water, which might have been why something grabbed it lol! My idea was to put a Gulp on it for flats fish but I only didn’t want to waste one that day. But yeah I’ve since found out that that’s not exactly something I would have invented. The good news is it works, and if you ask me it probably would work around here even better in our dark water. You can also rig it weedless for the rocks. The Gulp could even be secondary. Surely a big Redfish or Trout will bite something flashy in the rocks making noise.