Inshore live bait reel?

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Saltydawg

Inshore live bait reel?

Post by Saltydawg »

I primarily fish light tackle artificials of various kinds while on the flats but often like to drag a live bait while doing so in hopes of that stray cobia, large trout, or really anything. I have been using the Ambassador 6500C3 as I like it’s size and dependability but I DO NOT LIKE it’s clicker. It just does not seem to offer enough resistance and sometimes on an active drift with moving tide or wind line will click out randomly without a bite. Anyone have a suggestion for a reel around that size that might offer a “ tougher” clicker?
doomtrpr_z71

Re: Inshore live bait reel?

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I switched to an avet mx for the same reason.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I use an older model Okuma baitfeeder spinning reel. I had problems with sudden backlashes using an old clicker Ambassador when something seriously big grabbed it. It has caught from smallish trout to a 6 foot bull shark. Worked well on all. Getting older now and may be time to replace.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Tide-Dancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tide-Dancer »

The Shimano Bait runner series are hard to beat. JMOP. :smt006
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I second the Shimano Baitrunner. The "OC" model is adequate for what you listed, but the "D" model is more durable. https://fish.shimano.com/content/fish/n ... NER_D.html

The Penn Spinfisher Live Liner is another option, https://www.pennfishing.com/spinfisher- ... nt=1481278