Breaking the stottcraft in at Keaton

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

doomtrpr_z71

Breaking the stottcraft in at Keaton

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Since buying the boat in October, I haven't taken it on a serious hardcore fishing trip, so my normal crew plus my dad decided to rent a house at Keaton. Arriving Thursday afternoon we slid both boats in to be greeted by the weather just as windfinder said, calming with a pickup that evening. We made short work picking up a few reds

We then went our separate ways, we headed off in search of trout while they went looking for sheepshead, we found a few trout and realized I forgot to put batteries in the bubble box so the 5 dozen shrimp I got from Wilson's were all shot.

I called our companion boat to let them know I had stopped looking for trout as I found some Spanish and I was in pursuit of them and the calls went straight to voicemail. Turns out they had found some sheepshead but they were way offshore out of cell range. We decided to head in around 6 to hit Kathi's in steinhatchee which was awesome as always with high hopes for Friday regardless of the weather report and clean a few fish.

Friday morning I was greeted by an early wakeup call as the shrimp boats returned in the canal.

I foolishly decided to roll the dice on a long run north to big spring creek while the weather was nice.

My friends were smarter and went to Yates Creek instead, but I truly got my boat broken in by making the long run, ignoring the fact that my transducer needs to be moved up the transom and coming off plane in shallower water than I was expecting and whopping the bottom, luckily no harm no foul though I really need to remember that a power tech prop won't be nearly as cheap as the props I had for my old seapro. After nothing to show for this long run, I decided to head south only to find the motor won't crank due to a low battery, luckily the previous owner wired the battery switch so the trolling motor battery can be used for a cranking battery and we got back going. After just a rat red from spring warrior, we headed out deeper in pursuit of trout only to find the tax man himself. But we had an exciting fight when this 8 ft bull shark decided to eat a new penny gulp and decided he didn't like the way my boat looked. I wish I had gotten more than 15 secs on video but it is what it is. The shark turned out to be the omen for the rest of the trip, with us catching no trout, our second boat catching 3 keepers and nothing else to show for the effort. But we knew we would be eating good anyway regardless of the catches at the house.

And a good view to go with the meal

Turns out the neighbors to this rental know my boss and used to work with one of our suppliers, it's a small world.

Come Saturday morning with the weather not being great, one fishing partner needing to head to Atlanta and one who was wore out from the boat ride, we decided to call it which seems like a bad idea since it sounds like everybody did better Saturday than Friday but who can turn down a post fishing breakfast at waffle house and fresh fish on the grill for supper.

Lessons learned for sure on this trip:

Aerate the shrimp

Fix the transducer

Fix my anchor light

Buy a new cranking battery

Put in a new switch panel for the lights

I have to admit since selling the seapro something is off with my trout fishing, I've picked up more reds since, but I ve got to get my trout mojo back. The trout we did catch were in 6ft on new penny or sexy penny shrimp. Water temp was 74 but had fallen to 70 when we left.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited by doomtrpr_z71 on April 3rd, 2023, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hit-n-Miss

Re: Breaking the stottcraft in

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Looks like y’all had a great time regardless of the mishaps. Kathy’s is good for sure. You even been to Deals in Perry? Dinner and a show . I feel your pain on the battery. I gotta get one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Hit-n-Miss wrote:Looks like y’all had a great time regardless of the mishaps. Kathy’s is good for sure. You even been to Deals in Perry? Dinner and a show Image. I feel your pain on the battery. I gotta get one too.

I've been to deals, it's been a little while, I always felt I got a better show at who DAT ImageImageImageImage, I usually eat at deals if I take my wife and we use points to stay at the Hampton inn in Perry. Otherwise if we stay in Keaton we always go to steinhatchee to eat . The thing that irks me about the battery is it's an AGM and that's the second AGM I've had issues with.

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:
Hit-n-Miss wrote:Looks like y’all had a great time regardless of the mishaps. Kathy’s is good for sure. You even been to Deals in Perry? Dinner and a show Image. I feel your pain on the battery. I gotta get one too.

I've been to deals, it's been a little while, I always felt I got a better show at who DAT ImageImageImageImage, I usually eat at deals if I take my wife and we use points to stay at the Hampton inn in Perry. Otherwise if we stay in Keaton we always go to steinhatchee to eat . The thing that irks me about the battery is it's an AGM and that's the second AGM I've had issues with.

Have not been to Whodat. I’ve had real good luck with the big Interstate marine starting battery. The one I have to replace is like 7 years old.

doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Hit-n-Miss wrote:
doomtrpr_z71 wrote:

Have not been to Whodat. I’ve had real good luck with the big Interstate marine starting battery. The one I have to replace is like 7 years old.

This one is the 1000 cranking amp interstate AGM battery, I have no idea the age on it since the date isn't punched so I'm going to just replace it with the same, I've had good luck with interstates.

dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

awesome!
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

dombern34 wrote:awesome!
And that red got the rod you built me broke in too, and the best trout I caught too

BloodyChamp

Re: Breaking the stottcraft in at Keaton

Post by BloodyChamp »

I have never been to Deal’s, Kathi’s or the real Posey’s. I’ve just always been behind on restaurants in general even though I like a good hole in the wall seafood restaurant as much as I like fishing. I can’t remember the last time I sat down and ate all the shrimp, scallops or oysters I wanted ugh. But good report and good fish pics. I’m going Sunday and was maybe heading that way but the truth is it will be crowded, so I haven’t made up my mind.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

BloodyChamp wrote: April 7th, 2023, 8:20 pm I have never been to Deal’s, Kathi’s or the real Posey’s. I’ve just always been behind on restaurants in general even though I like a good hole in the wall seafood restaurant as much as I like fishing. I can’t remember the last time I sat down and ate all the shrimp, scallops or oysters I wanted ugh. But good report and good fish pics. I’m going Sunday and was maybe heading that way but the truth is it will be crowded, so I haven’t made up my mind.
Deals is definitely a hole in the wall but the food and service is great. Also love to eat at Kathy's.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Talking about posey's has got me ready to make a trip to st marks

ropeman

Post by ropeman »

BloodyChamp wrote: April 7th, 2023, 8:20 pm. . . or the real Posey’s. . .
When you say the real Posey's which one are you referring to? I haven't been around Keaton or Steinhatchee much, but I want to check it out this summer.
Last edited by ropeman on April 11th, 2023, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

ropeman wrote:
When you say the real Posey's which one are you referring to? I haven't been around Keaton Steinhatchee much, but I want to check it out this summer.
Posey's is in panacea

Sun Daze

Post by Sun Daze »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote: April 11th, 2023, 11:07 am
ropeman wrote:
When you say the real Posey's which one are you referring to? I haven't been around Keaton Steinhatchee much, but I want to check it out this summer.
Posey's is in panacea

I do believe they were referring to the long gone Posey's in St. Marks. To many of us locals, that was the original.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Sun Daze wrote: April 11th, 2023, 1:04 pmI do believe they were referring to the long gone Posey's in St. Marks. To many of us locals, that was the original.
I call that one the original as well because I worked there from 90 to 93. I have a plank of siding from the building, but never got my hands on a sign.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Right the original Posey’s that is gone. I’ve been to the néw Posey’s once and it was badddddd. I know it’s possible I just caught them at a bad time. That’s how it goes with restaurants, especially restaurants out of this mold. If anybody whose a part of Posey’s is reading relax...I’ll probably give it another shot lol!