econfina report??? I suck please help

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Outdoornerd

econfina report??? I suck please help

Post by Outdoornerd »

Yall--I need some help--I suck---in a slump i guess---gonna try to take the wife to econfina river--last week, we went right (Long Point, Oyster) to about 3-6--caught a few dinks, but nothing--i was thinking theyd be near the grass--but no grass
used a "sammy" , belly weighted swim bait, heck threw the whole tackle box---calm seas so we went out to about8-12 ft ,,no rock bass either --grrrrr :oops:
Im tired of gettin my butt whooped---please HELP for next weekend (4-28-23)
tabb

Re: econfina report??? I suck please help

Post by tabb »

I went two weeks ago and we caught a three man limit. My buddy went back to same spot two days later and only picked up a couple. I just don’t think have have gotten into a steady pattern. Plenty of grass where we were in 5-6 ft of water.

Just keep trying to find their pattern and get a few days of consistent weather.

Fished down there for 40 years and still struggle some days.
Outdoornerd

Post by Outdoornerd »

tabb---did yall go towards rock islandor oyster creek
One Keeper

Post by One Keeper »

Find grass in 5 foot or so and throw a cajun thunder with a gulp shrimp under it and that should be suffice :-D
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

As the weather changes and the fishing pressure grows up here the fish can move daily. I fished Saturday out of Econfina starting off shore a ways in a downpour looking for Cobia. Found some sea bass out there that would keep and one Spanish Makerel, but no cobia.

Headed in to 6 feet of water and caught another Spanish and a couple trout. Another boat saw this and immediately moved to pull up beside us. We moved a couple times and they moved with us, so I didn't hit any of my good spots. Waiting for them to leave, we drifted and area I hadn't fished before and caught 6 keeper flounder.

We ended the day with 7-8 trout, 7 sea bass, 6 flounder and 2 spanish.

The number one rule I would tell you is fish 10 - 15 minutes and if you don't get anything, move to a different area. Keep moving and changing the cover you are fishing - grass beds, oyster bars, creeks, islands, 2' deep, 8' deep. Sooner or later something will work. Most everything we caught came on a 1/4 oz. jig head with a Gulp bait on it.

- Steve Stinson
tabb

Post by tabb »

Yes we went to the East. Usually make my way out to the bird rack. But some days I have run from Rock island to Aucilla looking for a bite.
oreocwby

Post by oreocwby »

Steve...did someone say flounder....?// :lick: Mmmmmmmm
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Jay -
Those flounder never got frozen. They went from the fishing cooler to the grease and were some of the best I've had.

If it weren't for having to prefish the upcoming NFGFC Tournament out of Rock Landing I would be headed back to the same spot for more. :thumbup:

- Steve Stinson