Get some reports started

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Phil. 4:8

Get some reports started

Post by Phil. 4:8 »

Finally got the skiff out of the shop with a brand new outboard. So, of course we had to try it out on the flats. Went last Friday to the Light House and put in about 11:00 am. The tide was rising and there was already plenty of water to launch and motor out. Our first stop was just past the light house, fishing along the grass. And, as the old saying goes, "you're not going to believe this" but first cast of the season results in a keeper (23") red fish. Supper was set and I could actually go back to the truck, but of course we didn't. The nephew caught a short red and we both caught some under sized trout drifting across the flats. Then an unusual catch in about 3' of water, on a plastic jig under a cork, east of the light house; a cobia. Not a trophy mind you, maybe 24", but what a hoot to catch. The reds were caught on live shrimp and the trout and cobia were caught on plastics. Water was clear and averaged 69 degrees. Had a little wind, but not bad and the sun was shining. Not a bad day and the new Suzuki is a great kicker. Hope others will start sending in posts of their adventures and y'all be safe out there.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: Get some reports started

Post by fishinfool »

Congrats Phil. Glad it was a successful first trip with the new motor. Here is hoping many more like it in the future. :D
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Great report! I haven't been finding any legal size fish recently, but it sounds like the water has cooled off a degree or 2.
Saltydawg

Post by Saltydawg »

I agree! Sure wish folks would post/reply more. Don’t think anyone is looking to “steal” any spots and we all know that fishermen, including me, are liars but I’m assuming that lotsa folks just want to vicariously share experiences. And some like me live hundreds of miles from St. Marks or Steinhatchee and just can’t get there very often. That said, my wife and I are headed to Steinhatchee next Monday for 4 days and like it or not I’ll try to post our results. Good fishing to all!
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Saltydawg wrote: April 28th, 2023, 8:38 am I agree! Sure wish folks would post/reply more. Don’t think anyone is looking to “steal” any spots and we all know that fishermen, including me, are liars but I’m assuming that lotsa folks just want to vicariously share experiences. And some like me live hundreds of miles from St. Marks or Steinhatchee and just can’t get there very often. That said, my wife and I are headed to Steinhatchee next Monday for 4 days and like it or not I’ll try to post our results. Good fishing to all!
Looking forward to your daily posts on the trip. :-D
Phil. 4:8

Post by Phil. 4:8 »

Thanks for the responses. It's good to know that there are fisher folks out there who still read the posts and are willing to reply. I'll look forward to reading what y'all have to say in your posts. Tight lines :)
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Turkey season is over, so I will likely be fishing and will try to post up some (not so specific) reports. :D
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?