Steinhatchee 5/1-5/5/23

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Saltydawg

Steinhatchee 5/1-5/5/23

Post by Saltydawg »

My wife and I just returned from a few days fishing ( notice I didn’t say catching) at Steinhatchee. Arrived Monday to 20-35 mph wind’s directly out of the west so did put the boat in the water but NEVER considered leaving the dock. Tuesday dawned much better and we headed W to around Clay/Dallus creeks area and tried water from 6 to 2 feet. Murky in zones due to previous winds but beautiful in others. Early on incoming tide my wife caught trout after trout but all between 14 1/2 and 8 inches but after bout an hour they quit. We drifted one area that looked like a Saturday morning fishing show bottom of lush grass and prominent potholes but nobody home or probably just not biting. Managed 2 keepers for day. Wednesday went S towards Bowlegs n fished back towards river with same result. Friday back up to Clays w very similar results but 3 keepers. Total of 7 keepers for the 3 days and we threw the kitchen sink at them, wife fished popping cork w either Gulp shrimp or shiner tail and I threw artificial after artificial, slow rolled paddle tail, mirrodine, Catch 2000, even topwater. The other boats at the dock we were staying at all had similar results, couple caught no keepers. One a semi-local did decent n got a few reds but was very closed mouth about when/where. We were gonna try creek mouths for reds but trolling motor decided not to work. Think that passing front first of week shut um down for few days, know water temp dropped significantly n sure that didn’t help but they gotta be hungry so maybe this weekend’s fishermen will have better results. There’s a tournament going on this weekend and as we left Friday you couldn’t find a parking spot for truck/trailer at the public ramp or field next to it. Tuff few days but that’s fishing and that area is so beautiful it is such a pleasure to be there and looking forward to next opportunity. Tight lines and good luck to all.
Hit-n-Miss

Re: Steinhatchee 5/1-5/5/23

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Tough fishing. Thanks for posting up a report. I'm sure it was fun times with your wife though. I love it when I can get mine in the boat. She not much of a fisherman(she can catch them just not that fond of fishing) she prefers to scallop. :-D
doomtrpr_z71

Re: Steinhatchee 5/1-5/5/23

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

We were there 5/4-6, didn't fish Thursday, our Friday was similar, I didn't find any shorts, we did catch 3 good trout, a 20 and a 18 and a 15 that was very fat and full of shrimp, a good Spainsh and a 12in seabass. I should have stayed on that drift but the wife wanted lunch and I wanted to fish the reef for some bsb and grunts, I found the biggest school of blue runners instead. Saturday was nothing but lady fish and remoras.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk