Officiating in the Wake Forest FSU game

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jsuber
Site Sponsor

Officiating in the Wake Forest FSU game

Post by jsuber »

What happened, what went wrong?

How did Wake Forest end up with the ball after Florida State kicked the punt. Wake Forest pushed the FSU player in the back, into the ball, the ball hits FSU then WFU and FSU recovers the ball, but I see WFU hiking the ball with first and 20. It took them 8 minutes to come up with the wrong decision. I don't know if it would have helped FSU but it surely didn't do anything for the morale.

Forced Touching Disregarded
ARTICLE 4. a. A player blocked by an opponent into a free kick is not,
while inbounds, deemed to have touched the kick.

And since when can the center snap his head, and then point with his free hand, right before the snap.

Man things have changed. That guy would have been picking up teeth back in the day.
beatswork

Post by beatswork »

I could not agree more. The officials looked like the keystone cops out there trying to decide what was going on. I can't remember the last time I saw a crew as bad as that one.

I felt most of our offsides penalty's came from WF drawing us. They got away with a lot of movement on the line and a lot of holding.

Why in the world did they take Lee out and put Weathorford in for a quick three and out. Lee is our QB. He is throwing the ball down the field and getting to different receivers. He has got to be given the same dadgum chance Weatherford got. How will he ever get any confidence if he feels like at any minute he can get yanked out of a game. Like there ain't enough pressure already.

My thoughts on the game:
*^$&&&^%& :smt013
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?
DF 1860DLX

Post by DF 1860DLX »

To sum up the whole game all those B.S. calls cost us the victory. Enough Said!!!
2003 G3 1860DLX
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I've never seen so much holding by a team in my life. Know why WF began to run on us in the 4th quarter? Because the center and left guard held nearly every play. That remote camera behind the line doesn't miss much.

But the keystone cops routine at the beginning was just stupid. The PGA has a rules official at every event, that his only job is to make sure the rule book is enforced, and to interpret rules on a dispute . Why does the NCAA not have this? I'm not an official and I still know the rule about being blocked into a kick is not "illegal touching".
Tom Keels
Site Founder

jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

I can't understand why the press doesnt write about the poor officiating. The TV guys do not even talk about it anymore. Those Refs have a great Union to make all that happen.
bman

Post by bman »

Bottom line is we didn't play well enough to win....

Regardless of the crappy officiating we should have put enough points on the board to win the game.

I continue to get hopeful and then confused when our offense sputters.
I agree that we need to leave X in the game...
even though that interception in the end zone hurt big time.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

I agree that the team lost, and thats the bottom line. There seems to be a lack of discipline.
flatfish

Post by flatfish »

I was at the game last night. I can only assume that it was just as painful if not more so on TV than it was in person. I have never seen such poor officiating, ever. From my vantage point it seemed that we had enough going for us to win, however ugly it may have been in the end. Then we came out in the second half and looked no better than a confused high school team. The facemask penalty at the end killed us right there. Again, we did not play well enough to win. Another winter of our discontent. At times like this I have to remind myself that it was not until my Jr. year at FSU that we won a game and were 1-10 after not winning for three years. It can be worse so I remain hopeful and still a fan. The gaytor game is going to be downright tough. I think I will go fishing that day regardless of how cold it gets up here.
noleflyfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by noleflyfisher »

Agreed that the refs were terrible. But, where is the state of our union? That was an all around disappointing performance from the ground up. We will not beat any team with a heart beat until we become balanced on offense. The run blocking is atrocious. Wake's front four was in the backfield all night. Our o-line is soft. We just don't recruit well at this position and it shows.

The failure to use the middle of the field is inexcusable. No tight end play at all (we miss Brandon Warren). No use of the slot receiver. Wide receiver screens and reverses, all behind the line of scrimmage, and the jumpball to Carr is our highlight reel. There is no continuity in our play calling. Jimbo Fisher has not shown me anything that distinguishes him from Jeff Bowden. Totally unimaginative. If we cannot run the ball, then we need to run the spread, five wide and turn it loose.

The end of the night capped it for me as I sat and watched Anquan Boldin's little brother (who recovered the onside kick) mock the chop and slash his throat. Wake Forest's enrollment is a little more than that of a big high school. Its stadium seats a little more than 30,000. It recruits one and two star athletes that nobody wants. And, it now has a two game winning streak against a school that established a decade of dominance matched by no other. Oh, how the mighty have fallen. :smt010 :smt010
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

noleflyfisher wrote: If we cannot run the ball, then we need to run the spread, five wide and turn it loose.
Truer words have never been spoken.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Jeffry50

Post by Jeffry50 »

I read the reason Lee was pulled was because he was running the wrong plays and lining up in wrong formations.[/quote]
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

AMEN on running the sprerad 5 wide.....FSU should just borrow the Titan's offensive playbook and run 3 receivers out of the backfield on every play, just like arena ball :lol: X is not a good quarterback all around, but he can throw and we stand a better chance with him than Drew only because he can scramble and avoid the numerous sacks Drew will get due to his immobility and lack of offensive blocking. X got pulled because he doesn't know the offense. Generally, when you can't comprehend the classwork, the playbook is no different, especially for a quaterback. Jimbo needs to rotate a receiver in on every play....one that knows the play, and then all intended receivers need to tell X where they will be down the field. That will still involve checking down, but at least he'll know where to check down. FSU will return to respectibility when the current crop of players are weeded out over the next 2 seasons and Jimbo gets the guys he can shape to run his offense. Till then, you gotta work with what 'ya got.......Like the saying goes...."IT IS WHAT IT IS"