Politics forum for Site Sponsors only

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bman

Re: Politics forum for Site Sponsors only

Post by bman »

IT WILL BE HIGHLY MODERATED.
If your not a sponsor and not signed in then you cant even see the politics forum- or even tell it exists.
And its not listed in the main navigation page.

I really encourage all of you that don't want to see it to just stay away.
And the moment it goes out of control it will get ZAPPED!
Poof gone.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

I'm not worried about the politics staying in that forum but will the animosity and jabs spill over into the other areas? That's what worries me. The site sponsor part is a good idea to keep away an influx of new people only wanting to talk politics that might find the section from a google search of political topics.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

bman wrote:IT WILL BE HIGHLY MODERATED.
If your not a sponsor and not signed in then you cant even see the politics forum- or even tell it exists.
And its not listed in the main navigation page.

I really encourage all of you that don't want to see it to just stay away.
And the moment it goes out of control it will get ZAPPED!
Poof gone.

If it takes all that to try and keep it under control it probably isn't worth it given that it is a outdoor sports forum; only time will tell. I suspect it will be as easy to shut down as it was to start so off we go!l
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Talltails

Post by Talltails »

Since I'm NOT a site sponsor, does that mean I don't have to be subjected to any politics on this site now? :-D
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

WolfeMan wrote:No question about it, you could be right. Time will tell and I suspect Bevis will be quick to pull the trigger on shutting it down. I agree with you, it's a slippery slope. Barry and I had a pretty lengthy exchange about this possible new section and I agree that it might not last but is worth a test.

EJ, I do have to ask though, why isn't it simple? Just dont click the forum and you'll never see it. Heck, if you aren't a site sponsor you won't even have the option of seeing it. I dont see how it will impact you at all, or anybody else who wishes to avoid it.
Rhettley has identified why, IMO and his, it isn't a "simple" matter of avoiding looking at the Politics section. It makes this website not a fishing site, but something else. It begins the slide into junk status. The political trash talk leaks into the other discussions.

Again, this is my opinion. However, there is already an example of how it can all go wrong, and not because there was bad intent. I already mentioned the "other" Forum, which is essentially dead as a Fishing Forum because they allowed too much junk and no focus on fishing.

EJ
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

Let's just FISH
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
DriftingSun

Post by DriftingSun »

It's ALREADY negatively impacted my experience. Noticed a thread listed this morning in the "latest discussion threads" section. It does not indicate whether it is "political" or not and you couldn't tell by the title. Clicked on it to check it out...yeah, EPIC, though brief, waste of my time.
:smt012
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

So far this post is twice as negative as the actual political forum is. :-)

Post by charlie tuna »

Rhettley wrote:I've watched the civility disappear from the competition and I think politics and excessive personal jabs are the main culprit.

I don't know if it can be included in a section here without spilling into other sections, even if HIGHLY moderated.
This hits the nail on the head !!! This forum is only as good as the numbers of people that participate !
RalphKramden2011

Post by RalphKramden2011 »

If I don't spend $10.00 for this opportunity I'd probably just waste it on fishing or something worse! :-D

I'm unsure I'd trust a fisherman or anyone who does not have some strong political opinions! :o
slowroller
Site Sponsor

Post by slowroller »

WolfeMan wrote:So far this post is twice as negative as the actual political forum is. :-)
Exactly what I was thinking. :roll:
bman

Post by bman »

DriftingSun wrote:It's ALREADY negatively impacted my experience. Noticed a thread listed this morning in the "latest discussion threads" section. It does not indicate whether it is "political" or not and you couldn't tell by the title. Clicked on it to check it out...yeah, EPIC, though brief, waste of my time.
:smt012
Good point! I knew there would be some tweaks in the process.
Thank Mr Keels for some quick help on the main site- Posts in the "Politics Forum" are not going to show up on the "Latest Discussion Threads" list.

TEAM "Duck Season!"
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Is there a way I can be a site sponsor and still not be subjected to the politics thread jamming my "new topics" search?
It would be a great way to generate sponsor participation if it was switched to sponsors not seeing the politics forum and the non sponsors having to view it.
alternately: www.proboards.com I volunteer to set up a politics forum for those who wish to have it if it can be left off of here.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Daybreak

Post by Daybreak »

As to the political comments, when you click on something that you thought might relate to fishing, you get the word that you are not entitled to go there. The political stuff needs to be separated from the fishing stuff. Keep the site on fishing--there is plenty of other places for folks to vent their frustrations with the political. That is my two cents worth. I like the site for fishing reports, pictures, how to do this or that and what kind of lures people use., etc. There has been a lot of help by just reading what other folks write-even those who share the "good mornings" etc. People will usually point you in the right direction if you have a question. Thanks for having the site.
Daybreak
bman

Post by bman »

Barhopr wrote:Is there a way I can be a site sponsor and still not be subjected to the politics thread jamming my "new topics" search?
It would be a great way to generate sponsor participation if it was switched to sponsors not seeing the politics forum and the non sponsors having to view it.
alternately: www.proboards.com I volunteer to set up a politics forum for those who wish to have it if it can be left off of here.
See the post above yours.. Its done.

TEAM "Duck Season!"