The Cost of the Declaration of Independence!

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

The Cost of the Declaration of Independence!

Post by MudDucker »

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence ?

1. Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died.

2. Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned.

3. Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured.

4. Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War.

They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.

What kind of men were they?

1. Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists.

2. Eleven were merchants,

3. Nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated.

Still they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy and eventually sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

Thomas Nelson, Jr., lost his home to the British General Cornwallis for his headquarters. Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished.

So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and silently or not so silently thank these patriots. It's not much to ask for the price they paid.

Remember: freedom is never free !
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Re: The Cost of the Declaration of Independence!

Post by Dubble Trubble »

I used to say I would gladly die for the people of my country. However, as I look around lately at some of the people in my country, I am not so sure anymore.... salute1

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Thank you for the reminder. salute3
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
dbplug
Site Sponsor

Post by dbplug »

It is a shame that the average American citizen does not know this. Thanks for putting this up. A very Happy Independence Day to you.
for petes sake
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Dubble Trubble wrote:I used to say I would gladly die for the people of my country. However, as I look around lately at some of the people in my country, I am not so sure anymore.... salute1

My dad, who never treated a black person different (as a Dr. he said the only difference is skin pigment), once heard a black preacher carrying on during desegregation about how bad America is. He said that the difference is most black folk don't want to assimilate and become an American and as long as that continues, there will be problems. At the time it was the first minority to seek to remain separate. He finally got so mad that he said he was going to find that man's address and offer to pay his passage back to his ancestral home, since it was so bad here. He contacted the TV station, they got him an address and he mailed the letter with the offer. Never heard back from the guy. I am willing to make that same offer, regardless of the color of skin or religious preference. Love it or Leave it is my motto. BTW, on that note, can we block Air Force One and the Michelle's plane from re-entering US airspace? :smt011
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

This link goes with the thread, Very Interesting, and puts a face to the names..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... years.html

The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.