Tractor Gun & 4WD Vehicle Questions

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Tractor Gun & 4WD Vehicle Questions

Post by big bend gyrene »

One thing I love about this forum is the scoop that can be gained not just on fishing, but regarding just about any subject. So on that note, doing a bit of daydreaming this morning... pile of tough work ahead (this weekend and months beyond) so got to have something fun to think about for the future.

Just picked up about 100 acres of land with a mixture of about 30 acres of fields and the rest mixed hardwoods and pines, as well as a pond. Got a tractor with the transaction.

New place has me eager to hear opinions on a couple of questions, so here goes...

Question #1 - if forced to pick one gun, what would you carry in the tractor and why? Will be killing poisonous snakes on the property because I have dogs AND a 5 year old daughter (otherwise would not / don't kill snakes by habit away from my home). Also have feral pigs and will be keeping them in check too. Pretty much want the gun in hand to deal with whatever warrants dispatching. Since I lost a good number of guns in a recent tragic boating accident, always looking for an excuse to get another one. ;-) Guessing most shots won't be long ones... BUT... with the right rifle, some could. Don't know how many coyote I'm going to see, but fields on the property are about 200 yards long.

Question #2 -- ultimately going to need a mobile 4wd vehicle of some sort. Ponds is about 1/2 mile away from the house, and there are dirt paths already blazed around the borders of the property... some are rough enough / get muddy enough with heavy rain that I want something I can trust better than my 2wd truck and want something faster/more nimble to drive around than the tractor. Likely will use it for work/utility (hauling firewood, etc) as much as recreation, but will use it for both. On the recreation side will be carting deer, pig, fishing gear, etc, around when the day comes I have a few free minutes again.

So if only could pick one gun as a farm/tractor gun and one 4wd utility/play vehicle what would you pick. Eager to hear from those in the know! :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Re: Tractor Gun & 4WD Vehicle Questions

Post by Dubble Trubble »

I will answer # 2 first. I have and will swear by the Kawasaki Mule 4 seater convertible. It is by FAR the best investment I have made for the farm. Put a good winch on the front, and you will use it for almost everything from hauling to dirt road riding....

The best snake gun is not going to be the best hog/coyote gun. Just the way it is. Many times I have had to shoot snakes on the run. (Cottonmouths love to haul arse) Low brass 12 gauge birdshot with a short barrel (18") is the way to go there.

For those 200 yard hog shots. a GOOD scope on a 243 will get the job done. But there are several good calibers out there for that chore with the right bullet. No one gun is the "right" gun...

One "varmint" caliber that is interesting to me is all the new 17 caliber loads, including some rimfire, but I have NO experience with them at all, and have some doubts to some of the claims.

Dubble :thumbup:
Last edited by Dubble Trubble on August 30th, 2013, 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Asking for the perfect gun is like asking for the perfect boat. I guess the first question I would ask is handgun or long arm? For snakes nothing beats a .410 or larger shotgun. You will want to reach out further for coyotes. There are a few rifles on the market that can shoot a shotgun shell in one barrel and a rifle or large pistol round in the other. If your thinking about a pistol check out "the judge". That is what I would get if snakes were my primary target. A .38 shots shell works well on snakes also. Sorry, I'm not much help on question 2.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
big bend gyrene

Dubble, do appreciate that the wise advice that "no one gun is the "right" gun...", but don't plan on double/triple/quadruple packing while out on the tractor either. So much like folks occasionally post on the boards asking if limited to one boat best what would you pick for our local neck of the woods, guess I'm asking the equivalent kind of question.

If only taking one gun out on the tractor, what have those who carry found to truly be the most practical / most used.

The Marine in me likes the thought of making long range shots for the challenge of it, BUT my experiences to date caring for land has me thinking I'll likely run into 50 to 100 close-in shots for the much rarer long range ones. Besides, plan on looking over those fields off of the tractor while sitting in stands too, and much more clearly know what I'll likely be shooting then. :smt045 :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
big bend gyrene

Salty Gator, not a huge handgun fan. Much prefer long-arms, though for tractor use kind of thinking I don't want it to be too difficult to grab / quickly shoulder from seated position with limited space. Thus again my reason for asking if limited to one gun, what others have tended to use, appreciating that tractor use changes conditions from open field use. Wish I could just mount a ma deuce on the front of the tractor and be done with it. :-D
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

mount a ma deuce on the front
from the thread title, I thought that from the beginning :smt005
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

Savage or Stevens used to make an over and under, model 24. They made some in. 30/30 over 20 gauge with about a 24" barrel. A 30/30 with a 24" barrel is plenty of gun for a close range hog and the 20 gauge is all you need for a moccasin. I'm not sure they still make this combination but seems to me it would be pretty close to a perfect utility gun to carry around a farm.
big bend gyrene

RodBow wrote:
mount a ma deuce on the front
from the thread title, I thought that from the beginning :smt005
RodBow, have one more admission... you have no idea how badly I want PA to chime in & tell me I need a flame thrower so I can tell the Mrs. I've been given expert advice to acquire one! :-D
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Baikal USSG MP94 Combo Rifle/Shotgun. 12Ga/.30-06
:-D
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... 836632#PIC
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I wish I had your problems John. Ha!!! ;-)
Team Jolly Mon
big bend gyrene

Flint River Pirate wrote:I wish I had your problems John. Ha!!! ;-)
Uhmmm, be careful what you ask for, Dave... property purchase took us from having zero personal debt to owing a TON... want me to send you the bills?! :-)
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

A 30/30 and a mule
Squirm88

Post by Squirm88 »

I have a couple friends that own property that we train retrievers on. Most of them use a Mule and keep a Rossi Circuit Judge on the gun rack. Get the Rossi in stainless and when you load it alternate the rounds between .410 self defense rounds and birdshot. Birdshot is great for snakes and the self defense rounds carry enough bang for anything else.
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

Sako 270 rifle w/ a Swarovski scope, don't skimp on scope. Most accurate mass produced rifle. Plus pick up a $40 single shot 410 from a pawn shop for snakes.
The mule is best, but you would be surprised at where a jacked up gas operated golf cart can go, plus the golf cart is easy driving for the kids. For the tips, I can be persuaded to go on a cobia trip w/ you. Won't they be migrating back through in Sept? salute2