NO ONE'S DRIVING THAT CAR

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

RodBow
Site Sponsor

NO ONE'S DRIVING THAT CAR

Post by RodBow »

I'm no George Jetson but guess I've been more out of touch with reality than I imagined...(for those who do not know who George Jetson is, you can ignore this post)
Selmon Expressway Now Eligible as Testing Ground for Automated Vehicles

The Tampa Hillsborough Expressway Authority (THEA) announced that the Selmon Expressway (Expressway) is about to make history. Approved by the Research and Innovative Technology Administration (RITA) and the United States Department of Transportation (USDOT), the Expressway has met the criteria to become an automated vehicle testing ground, joining a small affiliation of other testing ground locations nationwide and only the second one in Florida.

The Expressway’s designation provides the capabilities for researchers to test the safety, mobility, environmental and efficiency advantages, services, standards and components of robotic cars "within the latest technology standards and architecture consistent with the United States Department of Transportation's Vehicle-To-Vehicle (V2V) and Vehicle-to-Infrastructure (V2I) research program," according to the RITA Intelligent Transportation Systems Joint Program Office. "It will allow for application testing with the focus and potential to save lives and provide continuous real-time connectivity among users."
Some expected benefits of the driverless cars include the following:

Fewer navigational errors,
Fewer traffic collisions and accidents,
Reduced traffic congestion and increased traffic flow,
Higher allowable speed limits,
Expanded freedom of use by those of any age, disability or intoxication level to use the vehicles, drastically reduce the need for close by parking and redundant drivers (since the robotic cars would not need human drivers), and
Reduction in the need and costs for traffic police, vehicle insurance, taxi services and road signage, to name a few expected benefits.

Florida became the second state in the nation allowing automated vehicles to operate on its roads. For more information and details regarding the testing ground affiliation and future capabilities, click here or contact THEA Planning Director Bob Frey at 813-272-6740 or BobF@tampa-xway.com.
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: NO ONE'S DRIVING THAT CAR

Post by fishinfool »

If it works, it would be very cool.
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Look on YouTube at I believe they call it Google car it drives automatically and there are a couple others I believe.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Sounds kind of SCARY to me! I trust few people to drive for me much less NOBODY!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

I heard the other day that they removed the override manual drive from the Google car because the drivers (people) couldn't react quick enough to take over the driving function in an emergency anyway. Looks like it's computer drive or nothing.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Teenagers will love it, they can text and drive.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Nothing new here so I don't understand all the hoopla!

In high school I had a fifth hand '53 Chevy that could drive itself. I'm living proof it brought me home on country roads many times when I could not drive. :o
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.