Big Oak

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

countrycorners

Big Oak

Post by countrycorners »

So, We were down in Thomasville yesterday---showing visitors the giant oak. I've been by here a zillion times and never noticed the tree is a Her, a girl!!
I wish my Dad were still alive so I could ask him to explain. I thought girls are girls, boys are boys and trees are---- well--- trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Re: Big Oak

Post by Harmsway »

Some trees are either male or female, but oak trees (including live oaks) are usually both male and female. Meaning that a single tree produce both male and female flowers.

I'm going with the assumption that use of "her" age is more of a colloquial convention tha pure science. Sorta like ships are (used to be) referred to in the feminine sense. On the other hand, there is a famous bald cypress tree in Longwood florida called "The General" or something (presumably a 'he'), but cypress trees, like oaks, are monoecious (both genders). So go figger.
Last edited by Harmsway on July 9th, 2016, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
redcodefsu

Re: Big Oak

Post by redcodefsu »

I looked up the giant Cypress in Longwood. It's call The Senator and some druggie burned it down 4 years ago... sad...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Senator_(tree)
2003 Key West 1720
2004 90 hp 2-stroke Yamaha
1950's Grumman 17' Double Ender