Spared!

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Spared!

Post by MudDucker »

I bought an little old place right on the water just west of Summer Camp Beach. It is on slab on grade. I went down Wednesday to put my chairs and such up and make a decision on moving my boat. On the way out of town, I noticed that Fl Power had started a staging area in Valdosta and it was stacking up with trucks. When I got to the coast, I looked at the radar and it appeared the Storm was going ashore near Tampa, so I just picked up stuff and left the boat. When I got back to Valdosta, the Fl Power area seemed to be breaking down and moving. Got up Thursday morning and the storm had changed course and appeared to have Apalachicola in its cross hairs, which puts me on the WRONG side of the storm. Call a friend with a place at Carrabelle and he is just passing my house on the way to get his boat off of his sling and onto land. He had a trailer, so he couldn't drag my boat off. I could not leave before 4PM and he said it would be nasty by then. He found a guy who moved my boat to his house up the river. I kept looking at the Turkey Point camera and it appeared that the surge was not all that bad. Then I saw video from Alligator Point and man that looked bad. I woke up at 3AM and the wind was really picking up here. At 4AM, the power went out and I could hear the wind ripping and hear stuff falling all around my house. Lost half of one big tree and had a LOT of debris in my yard. Couldn't get anyone to tell me anything from down there, so after the storm passed through Valdosta, I decided to head that way to check it out. My power was out at my house, my office and at my farm here in Lowndes County. It didn't look good when I got down and I had to go through Sopchoppy to find a gas station open to get fuel for my chain saw and blower. Summer Camp Beach, which is very high, was fine. Turned the corner and didn't see much bad other than a sailboat that was blown up on the shore on Wednesday. Passed the condos and fine. Pulled into my house and boy was I relieved. No damage other than grass washed off part of my extra lot. Debris came within 15 feet of my back deck. Went and got boat from Carrabelle and ate at the Raw bar on the way back. One mile west of me and continuing a long way, debris was all the way up to the road and a lot of houses appeared to have been hit by the surge. Carrabelle looked pretty good.

Here is a pic from behind my house. The neighbor got water under her house.
Attachments
debris line
debris line
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Spared!

Post by Salty Gator »

That's great news MD. Glad you dodged that bullet. That is a wonderful area, congrats on the new place :beer:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

You must be living right, MD. Glad you made out okay.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
TomParis
Site Sponsor

Post by TomParis »

good thing you didnt buy in the Keaton Beach area, as that place really took a hit. Glad you made it out unscathed!
1976 Seacraft 20' MA
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Thanks guys. I used to fish mostly out of Keaton and Steinhatchee. Had a lot at Steinhatchee at one time, but sold and moved. I hate to see all of the destruction at both places. I am thankful I was spared.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Browning Slayer
Site Sponsor

Post by Browning Slayer »

Dang MD, glad everything turned out for ya! Lucky for sure!
If there's not a life after fishing, I don't want to live it.....
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Wow you have way better luck than I do. If I had a place on the water it would be gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk