Ice Maker Not Working

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Ice Maker Not Working

Post by Scoop Sea »

It appears my ice maker in my freezer isn't working.

By chance do any of you all have any pointers on where to look for the issue? For the last 6 weeks or so, the water in the water dispenser has also been very slow. I changed the filter, but no difference.

Any advise/tips would be appreciated.

Chris
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Ice Maker Not Working

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Model number on fridge is needed for best diagnosis.
Also remove incoming water line from rear of fridge.
Place the line in a pail and turn on water to evaluate incoming pressure.
If that pressure is good the problem is due to components in the refrigerator..
Both water dispenser and ice maker could be due to frozen or partially frozen supply lines to each component.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Jumptrout51 wrote:Model number on fridge is needed for best diagnosis.
Also remove incoming water line from rear of fridge.
Place the line in a pail and turn on water to evaluate incoming pressure.
If that pressure is good the problem is due to components in the refrigerator..
Both water dispenser and ice maker could be due to frozen or partially frozen supply lines to each component.

The water pressure checked out from behind the fridge.

The water dispenser was barely letting water out before hurricane Hermine. After being shut down a couple of days without power, the water flowed great. I think your idea of the water lines getting frozen is most likely spot on. I will google how to work on that, but in the interim, if you have any suggestions, please feel free to drop me a tip, I'd surely appreciate. it.

It's a GE side by side model. The sticker on the back says GSH 25JS, I assume that's the model number.

If it's something I can't knock out, do you still do work on them here in Wakulla?

Thanks again for the tip, I'm gonna jump on it now.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

My mom has one that she will let the filter go until it blocks and it stops making ice (I now have it on my calendar to change out) but once I replace the filter it takes 2-3 days before it starts making ice again. I assumed there was air in the line and it takes a bit to purge out, tried to find a way to purge manually by flushing via the water dispenser etc. but usually just have to wait it out. Maybe it is freezing up but can't explain why it goes back to making ice once the filter is replaced if that is the case. She calls me about 2 days later and lets me know she has ice again. Had this happen two times in the last year.

Now that I have an idea as to how long the filter lasts we'll change it by calendar.

My fridge has a warning light and I've never had the ice maker stop making ice after replacing the filter.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

zload wrote:My mom has one that she will let the filter go until it blocks and it stops making ice (I now have it on my calendar to change out) but once I replace the filter it takes 2-3 days before it starts making ice again. I assumed there was air in the line and it takes a bit to purge out, tried to find a way to purge manually by flushing via the water dispenser etc. but usually just have to wait it out. Maybe it is freezing up but can't explain why it goes back to making ice once the filter is replaced if that is the case. She calls me about 2 days later and lets me know she has ice again. Had this happen two times in the last year.

Now that I have an idea as to how long the filter lasts we'll change it by calendar.

My fridge has a warning light and I've never had the ice maker stop making ice after replacing the filter.

I've got good water pressure in, so I'm gonna change out the filter (that would seem to simple), and then look at some other possibilities.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

I know this sounds crazy, but my contractor pulled the water supply to mine from the outlet of the hot water heater. He said sediments would be settled out. Never had an issue with it for 21 years now.
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

I chuckled to my wife just this morning... "at least there was some good from the power going off during Hermine.. the icemaker started working again!"
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Just in case anyone else has problems with their ice maker, here's what the problems/fixes were for mine.

Slow water out of the water dispenser was due to the filter, a new filter change made the water flow much better (I guess sometimes you have to change them more than once every 6 months).

As for the ice maker not working, apparently the spring on the "ice level indicator" bar had popped out and this was not allowing the bar to move back forward, which would indicate Ice should be made. I did replace my water valves (for lack of a better term) that controls sending water to the ice maker and water dispenser while in the process anyways. I'm not 100% sure this was necessary, as I replaced it before we realized the spring was jacked up, but given that my filter was jammed up after not being replaced too long ago, I figured it wasn't the worst thing in the word having replaced that valve.

Thanks for the advice along the way. A $40 valve and a lot of frustration, but we've got ice now....
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

:thumbup:
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I PLUGGED OUR WATER SUPPLY INTO THE HOT WATER LINE AT THE WATER HEATER, I DID THIS 27 YRS AGO, WE DO NOT PUT ANY ADDITIVES IN OUR WATER SYSTEM. WE ARE 587 FT DEEP IN THE APPLACHA AQUIFER AND I HAVE A FILTER SYSTEM THAT ALL OF OUR WATER GOES THRU, WE HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEM WITH LINES OR SWITCHES GETTING CLOGGED UP. THE HOT WATER HEATERS WE PUT IN THE HOUSE WHEN WE BUILT IT WERE ENCASED IN A LIQUID THAT IS IN A PLASTIC BAG , THIS HEATS UP AND THEN THE WATER IN THE TANK GETS HEATED FROM THAT. I THINK I PAID ABOUT $100 EXTRA FOR THE TWO HEATERS BUT WE HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS GETTING WATER OR HOT WATER OUT OF THE HEATERS. IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU PAY FOR YOUR HEATERS TO BEGIN WITH, I AM GLAD WE DECIDED TO GET THE BETTER HEATERS TO START OFF WITH. THE DOUBLE FILTER SYSTEM WE HAVE THAT I CHANGE ABOUT EVERY 5 YRS HAS SAVED UP FROM HAVING ANY PROBLEMS WITH OUR WATER SYSTEM.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO