Not the call you want to get

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

micci_man

Not the call you want to get

Post by micci_man »

I’m posting this story with hopes that people will read it and make wise decisions when the weather is bad and they want to hunt or fish. Later this same day the weather was still very bad I ran into 2 kids on my road (there is a landing on my road) heading to the lake with a small duck boat. I stopped them, told them what had happened and asked them to go home but they said “we’ll be alright” and continued on. An hour later I saw them come back by the house, I felt better.

So I met my hunting partner at the lake this past Sunday morning planning to go duck hunting. It only took a few minutes to decide that we needed to call the hunt off and go back home. Before we left 2 young boys pulled up and I recognized one of them being a friend of mines soon to be step son. We told them that they did not need to go hunting because the radar showed some nasty stuff on the way. They said that they would be ok and once again we asked that they did not go. “We’ll be fine” they said and one of the boys put on waders. Never wear waders when hunting from a boat, they can kill you and we told the boy that.

They continued to the boat and we left. I mean we couldn’t force them to go home but we did our best. Having not slept in for several months I got back in bed and was sleeping good when my phone rang at 8:30. I got up and didn’t recognize the number. I answered the call to hear a woman on the other end and she said “is this Tommy?” I said yes it is and she told me who she was and that her son had flipped the boat on the lake and as she started to cry saying “please go find them”. My heart dropped…… All she could tell me is that they could see the boat ramp. There are 4 ramps on the lake and the lake is 6,500 ac +/-. I rush to get dressed and called my friend that I had just left. He answered and I asked what he was doing. He said “Man, I’ve been sitting on the back porch watching this weather praying for those boys that we talked to.” I told him that their boat had capsized and to meet me at my boat.

My boat was on the water in a boat stall 10 minutes from my house. On the way the rain was so hard, debris blowing sideways I was not sure that we could get out there. I started praying, “Lord, please help us find those boys alive and keep us safe” over and over. When we got to my boat there were two other guys debating on going out. We told them what was going on and the search started. At that moment the wind and rain stopped… One Prayer answered! We made it a ¼ mile and spotted the boys waving at us standing on the flipped over boat. Second prayer answered!! The waders filled up on the boy that had them on and he was barely able to get them off. He also got tangled up under boat but thankfully was able to get free and head above water.

We got them in my boat and soon after the other guys showed up with a sheriff deputy with them. The ramp was filling with sirens and first responders. The deputy reported that they were found and safe so we put them in the boat with them and I called the boy’s mother to tell her they were safe. We started towing the flipped boat. It was a slow tow but we got it back to the ramp, turned it upright and pulled the plug to drain. The lady that called me was there and she was glad to see her boy!! They lost their guns, motor and a cell phone but those things can be replaced.

I have never done anything like that before and I tell you we were running on pure adrenalin and the Good Lord wrapped His hands of safety around all of us. I truly believe that. As soon as we got back to shore the rain and winds picked right back up as they were before we left.

I'm not asking for atta boys. This really got my attention and scared me. I just want people to make wiser decisions including myself when on the water or trying to get on the water. I see so many young guys out there making decisions that could kill them. I guess wisdom comes with age, if you make it to get older... I shake my head at some of the things I did when younger. I guess there will always be "bullet proof young people" but man...
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
roadtrip
Site Sponsor

Re: Not the call you want to get

Post by roadtrip »

You get one anyway. Attaboy!!!
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

So glad you were there to help those boys, you are the real MVP , think god had a hand in it that you were there for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can'tCatchAnything

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

I'm 27 and I feel the "bulletproof" feeling leaving me every time I go out; I'm less and less inclined to do crazier things. This story is a solid reminder to keep safety number 1, 2, 3, and 4, on any list.

It really was the Lord's will that you found those kids, I'm sure He has greater plans for them yet.

Attaboy.
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

Good job!
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Wow! Glad there are still a few people like you still out there! :thumbup: Makes you believe God was watching!
Wisdom doesn't always come with age... The local bass club had a tournament scheduled on Saturday. I called the president of the club on Thursday and asked if they were going to cancel or postpone the tournament since they predicted severe weather for Saturday.. Nope, was his answer. I just told him to call me to let me when it was canceled,,, he said he would but he never did. Luckily, a tornado didn't hit near the river where the tournament was but the weather and wind got really bad. I don't know how many boats showed up, but those idiots fished without me.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Glad you were able to help. Nice work.

Having been a local tournament director, I know the decisions can be tough. Thanks for the reminder!
Last edited by SHOWBOAT on January 25th, 2017, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

The Lord obviously had his hand in this rescue for all involved, including the rescuers!

Don't want to rain on the parade, however, you violated the 1st rule of rescue. You put yourself and your friend in a situation where you could have added to the body count. I don't know what size boat you have, but it seems you considered it inadequate when you scrubbed your trip and that didn't change when you went to rescue. You were blessed by the winds dropping. I scrubbed a hunt that morning as well and was sitting on my back deck watching the winds go up and down with some gusts exceeding 50mph.

When that mother called, your next move should have been to call 911 and you could offer to meet those professionals at the Lake and share what you saw and what you know. They should have equipment and skill to make a rescue effort, if one was possible. Also, if they determined you could and should help. they lay out a grid with you so that they can find you if you don't come back at the appointed time.

I know this because I was about to launch to enter a search at Keaton Beach many years back with what I knew to be an adequate boat and the FWC coordinator stopped myself and two others getting ready to launch. He gave us an extensive lecture (cussin' out). They turned the two guys with open console boats around and sent them home. They allowed me to take a FWC officer with me to an assigned grid. He showed me the weather grid they had from the navy and the searchable times per winds and waves. During our assigned search time, he went on and on about how many folks either got themselves killed or created more trouble for professionals when they to got in trouble being heros during a search and rescue.

So while I'm thankful for the outcome, depending upon luck is dangerous.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
bman

Post by bman »

Sounds like you did not go out until after the weather cleared. :thumbup: Sounds like you did not go out until after the weather cleared. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I know if my kids were out there I would greatly appreciate what you did salute3

So many of these kids that are hunting today don't have any adults with them to pull back the reigns. I know plenty of adults to do stupid things - me included sometimes! Hopefully they've learned a big lesson.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Glad to hear this had a happy ending, albeit with some very valuable life lessons learned. :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

So thankful for the outcome! Hopefully my "bulletproofness" is diminishing in favor of more common sense due to many close calls. Only advice is give Mother Nature the benefit of any doubt! :-D
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.