Mechanic

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Geno67

Mechanic

Post by Geno67 »

Can anyone recommend a good mechanic in Tallahassee that won't break the bank?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Mechanic

Post by Salty Gator »

Jim Hanshaw aka fishinfool is a mechanic. If he can’t do it he may be able to point you in the right direction. Ps I just saw the pm you sent me today. Sorry, don’t know why I don’t get email notifications for pm’s any more. I sure hope you got it worked out
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

What year ,make and model? What kind of work do you need?
Geno67

Post by Geno67 »

2009 GMC Acadia 3.6l - 165k.

It has had its second 3-5r wave plate failure. I will need a a reman tranny installed. I've sourced a part from a shop in Tampa named Street Smart Transmission that has a 3 year, fully transferable unlimited mileage warranty for 2130 shipped. I have not bought it yet so if you have suggestions/concerns/etc. please let me know and I can make adjustments.

I would really like for her to be able to continue to drive this thing as she usually gets a zillion miles out of a vehicle.
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

My friend owns the AAmco transmission / Blue Steel Automotive on West Tennessee in Tallahassee. He'll treat you right. 574-6062
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

Mike Helms Nationwide Transmission Cap Cir NE if you want another option.
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

I work at Superior Transmission parts and supply parts to all the shops in town, mike Helton is a good choice or Carlton there at Nationwide, they can do on the side sometimes to and save a lil green. Have any questions or recommendations just give me a call and I can diff help you out.
Kenner 556-7641

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Geno67

Post by Geno67 »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm about ready to pull the trigger.

I've found out through research that the newer transmissions fit and the TECHM will bolt right on and run them with no programming needed. The newer transmissions have "supposedly" been redesigned so the wave plate failure is not a "when" but an "if". They are also 1/2-1/3 the price of the transmissions with the known wave plate failure issue. You have to use the older style control module as the newer ones won't program to the old car.
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Yeah I think GM fixed that problem from 2010 on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

It's a simple remove/replace job and just about any shop with a lift could do it.

A good mechanic is like gold around here but in this case would be overkill IMO.

If I had a good mechanic i'd "give" him the job just because. I do my own work but regularly call craigslist mechanics to fix stuff I don't feel like doing and have done very well on that. To be clear they are shit mechanics but I only give them simple stuff that sucks to do.

Parkway marine also works on cars and they are very very good at both. They are straight forward and reasonable.