Fishing on Sunday is hard enough when everything goes right.

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bbb

Post by bbb »

The day started off great. We got launched at 9:30. Limit of snapper by 1. Grilled hotdogs on the boat for lunch. Still had 2 boxes of bait so, we caught 15 or more 20” snapper for fun. Got broke off several times in the reef by something big.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

5:45pm and we Finally decided to head to the hill from 14 miles out. Get the boat up on plane, get the radio cranking, and about 2 miles in an alarm sounds. I shut it down........Crank back up and get on plane and alarm starts again. Quick google on my phone says temp or oil supply. I check the oil reservoir....empty. I check the reserve on the motor. At the lowest line. Darn I just put a gallon in before this 2 day trip. No extra oil on the boat. Time to call SeaTow on the VHF. They answer right away and say they will go buy some oil and bring it to me. Sunday evening on the water can be lonely. 6:15...2 boats in sight, one to the East and one to the West. Now only one boat to the East. 6:45...Now he’s leaving and its just us bobbing in the lonely ocean with no other boats in sight. I keep looking East waiting to catch a glimpse of a yellow boat coming our way. My eyes played tricks on me twice thinking I saw a boat, but it must have been a wave top. Now our 2ft seas have increased to 3. 7:20....i think I see someone....but are they coming our way. Why yes its Seatow to the rescue. Suddenly my frown turns into a smile that won’t go away. He sells us a gallon of oil and we are on our way. What a fun ride in knowing we have a buddy boat watching us just in case.

8:15....We hit the canal and turn the corner and there is Mr Green Jeans sitting in his 30 ft center console. “Ya’ll catch any fish?” No we’re out here snow skiing. This is the dude that wrote me a $300 ticket for having 2 triggerfish per person when the limit had been changed to one earlier in the year. However they never updated the QuickChart. Anyways thats another story.

The Big Jerk, as I’ll call him, has a buddy in training and he sends him onto my boat like a Black Lab in a wood duck hole, to check out the fish. I tell him where they are located and he’s quickly up to his shoulders in ice and slime trying to find a violation. But low and behold we are legal....fish wise. He checks our licenses and I forgot to get the free reef permit on my daughters license. He says he will cut me a break and just write up a warning.

8:45....we have the boat loaded up ready to go back to Presnells then drive 2 hours home. Get to Presnells and look in the boat. Uh Oh. You see my wife bought me 2 matching bean bags for the boat, and gave them to me Sunday morning, but there was only 1 in there now.

This was them in the new chairs waiting on SeaTow. I was full of nervous energy so I was eating all the snacks.

9:20.....She jumped in her car and back tracked all the way to the Mexico Beach canal, but someone had already snagged it off the side of the road.

In the meantime, my daughter goes to shower before our ride home and drops her iphone and shatters the face.

10:30 my wife shows back up from her wasted trip to the canal and we get packed up.

1:15am and we pull into the driveway with a filthy boat, and a fish box full of fish. That will have to wait til Monday morning. I get our bags unloaded from the truck and my head finally hits the pillow at 1:45am.

The End
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Re: Fishing on Sunday is hard enough when everything goes ri

Post by dombern34 »

trips like these are the ones that will never be forgotten! Glad yall made it back safe!
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I thought I had bad luck with also being checked by FWC, getting caught in a down pour and having a trailer tire blow out on the way home.. I think you got me beat. :-D
Over the years, I've learned to expect problems and few and far between perfect days. :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

I'll bet you never go anywhere in that boat ever again without a spare gallon of oil onboard. :)

All the lessons I learned the hard way are the ones I still remember. Excellent report.

I'm sure your new to them bean bag is making someone happy. ;)
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Been there. Now I carry extra oil. Nice job on the fish. I’ve noticed in my experience that Mr Greenjeans loves to single out Ga boats don’t know why. I feel your pain on the beanbag. My wife bought me some Cressi fins and they blew out of the boat moving from one spot to the next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

Post by THOMAS CITY CURVE »

Sorry for the bad luck ! On the bright side you sure turned that boat into something you and your family can be proud of ! Very Cool !
FTReelty

Post by FTReelty »

Awesome story-at least you had a cooler full of fish and had Seatow! Memories!
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I've never had to use Sea Tow in over 20 years of membership (knock on wood) but I'm curious: How much did a gallon of oil cost?
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Everybody made it back and nothing was seriously damaged or broken. Sometimes you gotta count the blessings instead of the curses.

My question is - If you put that much oil in the boat prior to fishing where did it all go? You may have a leak in your reservoir or one of the lines.

- Steve Stinson
bbb

Post by bbb »

Juan wrote:I've never had to use Sea Tow in over 20 years of membership (knock on wood) but I'm curious: How much did a gallon of oil cost?
$40 for 4 quarts from Advanced Auto. My tip was more than the oil cost.

I obviously have not been religious on monitoring the amount of oil in the reservoir. I know it came 1/2 to 3/4 full on the boat when I bought it and I ran 3 river trips(60 miles) and a weekend at Carrabelle(70 miles). Then before the Mexico Beach trip I blindly added 1 gallon. I ran close to 70 miles last weekend. My guess is I was almost out of oil after the Carrabelle trip.

200 miles averaging a little over 1 mile per gallon would use around 4 gallons of oil. I think the reservoir is 2.5-3 gallons. So I think my oil consumption is accurate.
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

Dang, a trip to remember for sure.

A buddy of mine lost his new bean bag a few weekends ago on the trip from Overstreet to Mexico Beach. They backtracked like y'all did and someone had already picked it up also!
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Sounds like a long day, but a great trip! Just wondering where you stow those bean bags while you're fishing?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

ropeman wrote:Sounds like a long day, but a great trip! Just wondering where you stow those bean bags while you're fishing?
On top of the t top
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Man, what a trip. I bet it didn’t help with all of those water spouts popping up
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
bbb

Post by bbb »

Salty Gator wrote:Man, what a trip. I bet it didn’t help with all of those water spouts popping up
Weather was much different in Mexico Beach than Carrabelle. No water spouts or threats of rain either day. Seas got a little bumpy Saturday afternoon but nothing like I heard out of Carrabelle.