Is this toll road going to destroy the forgotten coast?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BloodyChamp

Is this toll road going to destroy the forgotten coast?

Post by BloodyChamp »

And the Wacissa, Aucilla and St Marks Rivers?
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: Is this toll road going to destroy the forgotten coast?

Post by Steve Stinson »

Yup. It's unwanted and unnecessary. How many times have you been stuck in a traffic jam on US-19 between here and Crystal River? 0
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

Where is the road going? All I can find online is a proposed route that hits Ga south of Valdosta.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Maps to be released soon, but it is supposed to end at the intersection of SR-27 and US-19 in Capps.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

It’s going in both of my back yards as I own land literally right before Capps off 19 and I own the old Bellamy Plantation at Wolf Creek, another name that most people here recognize from this same discussion. And it’s going to destroy our rivers. Even if they bought me out and made me rich, I don’t want to be somewhere that doesn’t involve fishing in my rivers.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

How much do your trust the SRWMD? They are 1 of the legit wildlife protection organizations in my opinion, and based on the facts regardless of what I personally think. They’ve proved it many times. Everybody has a price though. How much of that land will be lost?
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Something no one asked for
SCALAWAG
Site Sponsor

Post by SCALAWAG »

I own land in Taylor county, and the proposed development associated with the toll road will impact me possibly. :smt011 :smt011 :smt011 . this is a link to some info on this. http://WWW.FloridaMCores.com
2016 Carolina Skiff 218DLV
Honda 115
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Some of the proposals I've seen for the Perry area depict development similar to Southwood here in Tallahassee. One of the richest men in Florida has bought up a lot of land there and is waiting for this to go through.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Here's a link to the article I read about the Perry area -

https://www.floridaphoenix.com/2019/03/ ... chest-man/
SCALAWAG
Site Sponsor

Post by SCALAWAG »

He is the man who bought Foley, he owns most of taylor county and also owns what was the marina at Keaton. if he gets his way i will be forced out.
Honda 115
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Seems to me he is trying to force an unwanted / unwarranted toll rd through just to feed his development project. He has some politicians in his pocket. Especially a Mr. Galvano out of the Sarasota area.
SCALAWAG
Site Sponsor

Post by SCALAWAG »

He was a huge supporter for Desantis also. There must be something to all of this because since it has started I have been contacted by three different companies wanting to purchase my land. I turned them down.
Honda 115
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I bet he won’t do any developing. That’s just his story for his real plan of buying the land and selling it to them for more money. It hasn’t been proven yet but that seems to be the story behind the real estate investors from another state who bought the swamp land next to my land :smt011 :smt011 :smt011
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I live just North of Capps and East of Hwy 19 between Capps and Interstate 10. Since the court house round-a-bout can't handle the traffic this toll road will create, there is plans to make a bypass around Monticello. It is likely that the toll road or bypass will hit or come very close to my land. It's not likely that the bypass would swing to the West of Monticello because that will put them going across Turner's land and he has lots of $ and political pull also.

The time to fight all this is now. Rep. Galvano got an amendment to the Fl. Constitution passed saying that the toll road has to end in Jefferson Co. It is my understanding that the only way to change this is to change the amendment. Many folks in Madison Co. want this toll road to come through their town, desiring the development that will come with it, but the senior politicians are unwilling to allow any changes.

The entire thing smells like a way for the politicians and the wealthy landowner mentioned above to get even more wealthy at the Florida taxpayers expense. :thumbdown: