Did anyone from GA get told to go home this weekend?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

STMU

Re: Did anyone from GA get told to go home this weekend?

Post by STMU »

Steve Stinson wrote:I used to work for the engineering company that built the Carabelle City ramp and park down near the mouth of the river. That project was funded with federal grant money. I wonder what the terms of the grant are? Remaining open to the public perhaps? A violation of the grant terms would mean the City would have to refund the grant money.
While I can't be certain, the overwhelming majority of federally funded ramps in the state of Fl came through the Florida Boating Improvement Grant (FBIP). It's administered by FWC, but funding comes from the Federal Pittman-Robertson/Wallop-Breaux amendment. That is the excise tax law on fishing and hunting related items. As such, these funds do have stipulations requiring the ramp to remain free of charge, however, many counties use a loophole where they charge a parking fee instead of a ramp fee (that's a whole different conversation - I'm looking at you Wakulla County). However, I am not aware of any language in the statute that describes closing. What these contracts do usually have is a force majeure (act-of-god) clause that would most likely apply in this situation. Not saying this is the case here, just an educated guess.
DWilliams

Post by DWilliams »

Steve Stinson wrote:I used to work for the engineering company that built the Carabelle City ramp and park down near the mouth of the river. That project was funded with federal grant money. I wonder what the terms of the grant are? Remaining open to the public perhaps? A violation of the grant terms would mean the City would have to refund the grant money.

Did you come up with the idea to put a rock garden as a turn around? Anything over 25' is a real test.
bbb

Post by bbb »

DWilliams wrote:

Did you come up with the idea to put a rock garden as a turn around? Anything over 25' is a real test.
TRUTH!!!!!

I started using the one next to CQuarters. Gotta park down the road sometimes but its a much easier turn around.
4reels

Post by 4reels »

Thank you to Shields Marina, Wakulla County, & The Seinyard for allowing me to spend my GA earned dollars today. I had a day off and my oldest son turned 14 yesterday, so he joined me.
I’ll be in the ER tomorrow putting a COVID patient on the vent I’m sure, irrespective of the patient’s state of origin!
Sure was nice to get away for the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

4reels wrote:Thank you to Shields Marina, Wakulla County, & The Seinyard for allowing me to spend my GA earned dollars today. I had a day off and my oldest son turned 14 yesterday, so he joined me.
I’ll be in the ER tomorrow putting a COVID patient on the vent I’m sure, irrespective of the patient’s state of origin!

Shields is good people!
All photos copyright @saverymill
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

4reels wrote:Thank you to Shields Marina, Wakulla County, & The Seinyard for allowing me to spend my GA earned dollars today. I had a day off and my oldest son turned 14 yesterday, so he joined me.

Glad you got to go out. But if you are really dealing with covid patients. Shouldn’t you be smarter than the rest of us and stay home?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
bbb

Post by bbb »

At last nights meeting, Franklin county closed all its ramps to non-residents as of midnight tonight.

The City of Carrabelle will likely do the same with the city ramps after tonights meeting.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

I wonder how the Lanark Boat Club ramp factors into this? I believe it's a privately owned ramp.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

Classic Prisoner's Dilemma. Each time a new jurisdiction closes their ramps to non-residents it exacerbates the situation for all other jurisdictions, who then experience the additional surge in traffic shifting from other areas and furthers their own problems. With each new closure, it will force additional closures until they're all shutdown.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

StMarksAngler wrote:Classic Prisoner's Dilemma. Each time a new jurisdiction closes their ramps to non-residents it exacerbates the situation for all other jurisdictions, who then experience the additional surge in traffic shifting from other areas and furthers their own problems. With each new closure, it will force additional closures until they're all shutdown.
I fear you are correct
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

StMarksAngler wrote:Classic Prisoner's Dilemma. Each time a new jurisdiction closes their ramps to non-residents it exacerbates the situation for all other jurisdictions, who then experience the additional surge in traffic shifting from other areas and furthers their own problems. With each new closure, it will force additional closures until they're all shutdown.
Exactly what I’ve been thinking. Folks don’t want to hear that, but seems to be the way it will go if we continue this heading.

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

bbb wrote:
MudDucker wrote:Now the Sheriff is harassing from what I hear. I'm going to hoist the pirate flag and go to my place this weekend to fish.
Better take 14 days worth of food and clothing. ;)
Nope, the choice is to quarantine or go home, you don't have to stay.

I don't seek conflict over these illegal actions, but I know the way to the federal court and i have zero doubt that these actions would be ruled improper, which would open the county to the possibility of a large damage award.

Why, in this Country you CAN NOT discriminate against a citizen of another state. Next, according the Florida law, the power of quarantine does not rest in the County Commission, it rests in the county Health Department, which has issued no such order. Lastly, for the purposes of this post, the County is not requiring its residents who leave the area and go to an infected area to quarantine, nor are they applying it if a Florida resident comes up from South Florida, where the infections are rampant.

In other words, the Counties actions are both illogical and meaningless to protect the residents of the county.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

rockyg wrote:I wonder how the Lanark Boat Club ramp factors into this? I believe it's a privately owned ramp.
The Board voted to close it yesterday without consulting the membership, so the money I paid to become a voting member and to use the facilities is now a waste until they vote again to reopen. As a private facility, unlike a public facility, they can chose to close as long as it is done properly as a corporate matter.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

Some of the ramblings on here about the "illegal" actions of closing boat ramps are just insane. It sucks, but it's well within the purview of whichever controlling jurisdiction is at play to shut down public access facilities for any number of reasons. Renovations, cleaning, public safety and well-being... The self-entitlement of some people, my lord.
Sun Daze

Post by Sun Daze »

StMarksAngler wrote:Some of the ramblings on here about the "illegal" actions of closing boat ramps are just insane. It sucks, but it's well within the purview of whichever controlling jurisdiction is at play to shut down public access facilities for any number of reasons. Renovations, cleaning, public safety and well-being... The self-entitlement of some people, my lord.

You're not kidding about the self entitlement of some.... especially those in favor of others' constitutional rights being suspended for their false sense of security... :smt011 :smt011