The wisdom of boat ramp closures???

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

doomtrpr_z71

Re: The wisdom of boat ramp closures???

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

MudDucker wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
procraftwes wrote:
Srbenda wrote:
procraftwes wrote:I'm not trying to come at you GA folks but we're under a stay at home order in FL and they're checking the roads at state lines... I sure wouldn't go up to GA from FL right now and think it's a really bad idea.

Where are these checks occurring? I-10 at AL state lines?
I'm honestly not sure. I know there's one at I95 too.
Only checkpoints are on interstates. Other than ecofina, cedar key, Franklin and Taylor counties, y’all jawja boys are welcome. Wash your hands and be smart at the ramp and on the water :beer:
The closures only make the other ramps more crowded, that makes no sense. Remember that the next time your going to spend money in Franklin and Taylor county fishing as out of towners. And when you come to the counties that didn’t do it, try to put some cash back into the local economy. Bait, gas, ice, fishing /boating gear and food money keep it going for them.
Negatory Salty, they are not just on interstate. They have put troopers on nearly every major highway leading into Florida out of Lowndes and Brooks County.

I own property and pay taxes on a house and my boat in Franklin County. Y'all pay me for taking away my right to use my house ... hmmm, then it is Un-Constitutional.
So I need to take the back roads to St Mark's in the morning then
bbb

Post by bbb »

I drive from Bainbridge to Tallahassee every day. Haven’t seen the 1st Trooper at the State Line unless they’re hiding in the bushes real good.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:
MudDucker wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
procraftwes wrote:
Srbenda wrote:
procraftwes wrote:I'm not trying to come at you GA folks but we're under a stay at home order in FL and they're checking the roads at state lines... I sure wouldn't go up to GA from FL right now and think it's a really bad idea.

Where are these checks occurring? I-10 at AL state lines?
I'm honestly not sure. I know there's one at I95 too.
Only checkpoints are on interstates. Other than ecofina, cedar key, Franklin and Taylor counties, y’all jawja boys are welcome. Wash your hands and be smart at the ramp and on the water :beer:
The closures only make the other ramps more crowded, that makes no sense. Remember that the next time your going to spend money in Franklin and Taylor county fishing as out of towners. And when you come to the counties that didn’t do it, try to put some cash back into the local economy. Bait, gas, ice, fishing /boating gear and food money keep it going for them.
Negatory Salty, they are not just on interstate. They have put troopers on nearly every major highway leading into Florida out of Lowndes and Brooks County.

I own property and pay taxes on a house and my boat in Franklin County. Y'all pay me for taking away my right to use my house ... hmmm, then it is Un-Constitutional.
So I need to take the back roads to St Mark's in the morning then
Probably not at all and when you get to Wakulla County they wont try to round you up like in Franklin County. salute3

Stay at home doesn't mean stay at home apparently. If you read the actual order there's so many essential activities that are exempt.

Ignore the Karen's on FB crying about you coming to their town.. They'll be the first ones to be issued a citation in a week for having a birthday party for their special snowflake if it falls within the order timeframe. The Wakulla and Carrabelle fishing page on FB make me sick with all these annoying birds squawking about everything right now.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Folks in Franklin Co. obviously don't appreciate the money coming from the out-of-towners buying half million dollar homes along the coast. If you spend that much to own a home, you should be able to come enjoy YOUR home whenever you like and not have to spend two weeks sealed up inside of it.
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

This whole situation is a mess. I, along with most others , am itching to start getting some fishing time in. I do own a "vacation" home in Franklin County. The one thing that I would ask everyone to consider is that the business owners and residence aren't making these decisions about all the closures. They are really taking a hit in the pocketbook. They do understand that to keep cases down keeping people out who may bring it with them is a no brainer, but in East Point, for example, they are still recovering from a huge fire a couple of years ago and then Hurricane Michael. Then wham, all their businesses are being told to close the doors. These, for the most part, are family businesses. All I ask is not to be tough on the local folks. They are only doing what they are being asked, just like the rest of us.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

bbb wrote:If this thing is around when deer season starts, them Florida folks will have no problem with crossing State lines to get to the deer leases.

If I buy my gas and food in my hometown and only use your ramp, I don’t see the problem.

Half the tags I saw on the way to and from work yesterday were from Florida. So, those folks can come to Georgia and return to Florida as they want and not have to quarantine. Unconstitutional.

Franklin Co residents are leaving the county, with many going to the crowed Walmart in Crawfordville or to Tallahassee and then back without having to quarantine. Unconstitutional.

Its time to raise the pirate flag!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Steve Stinson wrote:Duck -
I thought the same thing about the gym and bar closures. I realize these businesses expose folks to risk, but I have a problem with the govt. shutting down legally operating businesses. Is mine next? What about yours?
I have the same problem, but if you get in the minutia of the law, those businesses are required to have a government license and as such are subject to these government mandates. Our days as free citizens allowed to make our own reasoned choices and to weight the risk and benefits have been thrown out the window due to a microscopic virus. One problem is the shortage of PPE, but our government now assumes we are too stupid to make free choices. Myself, I am in the high risk group and I've been very very careful to not contract this virus.

There are ways to make any of these safe with cleaning and social distancing. Which raises a question, I went by Sam's here yesterday for the old folks shopping hours and they are limiting the number of folks in the store, but they had a line of around 40 people wrapped around the building with only a shopping cart providing for distancing. I passed on getting into that line.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I agree. I saw the same thing at Costco and passed going into that store as well. (Went to Bass Pro Shops instead, which was probably more expensive). In typical government fashion, many of these measures are having the exact opposite effect from the original intention.
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Well this fla boy and the family are going the other way, because of the craziness going on down here with ramps and the ones that are open are slammed on the weekend, we are headed to do some cruising on the flint river today, there no problems with the ramp at the basin or the river is there? We will he keeping our distance and riding around, prob stop by a sand bar for a few min just to let the kids get in water for a few min and potty break but staying away from any others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bbb

Post by bbb »

Everythings good up here. We plan on being out there at some point cooking hamburgers on the boat.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

The counties closing the boat ramps are exceeding their authority in an amendment written by the governor the stay at home orders cannot be more restrictive than his order. He clearly stated that outdoor activities like fishing are encouraged.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Well, Ga. didn't close it's border or any ramps and Florida people are coming here to launch. I don't see what the difference is here, why is it just closed one way? I don't care if they come up here to fish or go boating, but I would like to see the roads to Fl. opened back up. Not just because I want to go fishing there again, I just think it's the right thing to do. My .02 worth.
Yours in the South
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I can't understand it either.. As of yesterday Florida had more than a thousand more case of Covid 19 than Georgia ….seems like Georgia should be closing the ramps to Florida instead of the other way around. :smt011
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

If my local sheriff was doing the same crap as the Franklin Co. Sheriff to people from Florida, I would be in face and he and I and a Judge would be having a discussion.

I went down to my place in Franklin Co. Friday afternoon. Order a take out meal from the Crooked Grill, which was very appreciative, and launched Saturday morning early from Rock Landing. Only problem is that the winds were out of the east and much higher than predicted, which made it unfishable. At the same time, the area where my house is located was sheltered by Alligator Pt and totally fishable until around 2PM. I paid Lanark Boating Club $115 for my membership and the right to ramp, but due to this stupidity, they closed their ramp and thereby ruined my chance to social distance on the water.

I didn't get stopped or hassled, but I was prepared for it.
bead

Post by bead »

Fl /Ga Parkway, hwy 19? Must not be closed or checked, still seeing many boats w/Ga tags still coming through Monticello.