The wisdom of boat ramp closures???

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

So I am questioning the wisdom of the boat ramp closures here. I was the third trailer at the boat ramp at Aucilla this past Saturday morning. I had a friend who was running late so I had about an hour to wait. I launched and began fishing within sight of the ramp so I could stay close by. I watched as the ramp became more crowded and boats of all sizes launched from mud motored jon boats to a 23' Skeeter. Everybody seemed to be getting along and respecting the personal space of the other ramp users.

When I came back to the ramp in the afternoon, there were even more trucks trailers there with about the same results. I noticed two people in street clothes (no uniforms) with radios on their hips, not doing anything, but just watching everybody. The man with the radio was actually standing on the gangplank at the boat ramp, so it was impossible to leave your boat and retrieve your trailer without walking right next to him. I guess I should have launched into a coughing fit on the way by - maybe he'd get the hint. Are these folks watching for one too many trucks to pull in? Out of State tags?
Wouldn't it be better to open ALL the ramps instead of forcing the boaters to use the few that remain open? Especially since April 1st was the first day of grouper season. I have offshore fishing friends who regularly schedule the first of grouper season off from work so they can fish. I also know d@mn well that the family with the giant, expensive, fiberglass Skeeter doesn't want to be running the Aucilla at low tide. Please remember the local politicians that closed the ramps and vote them out of office. Why shut down one of the best ways to isolate yourself and relieve stress during these times?

That being said, my son fished a local lake on the same day and said there were a lot of folks hanging out at the ramp drinking beer. This isn't a good idea either. If you want to drink beer, do it at home and save yourself the risk of the DUI. Please leave the boat ramps for the boaters.

- Good Fishin' and Stay Well.
Steve Stinson
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: The wisdom of boat ramp closures???

Post by DixieReb »

I thought the ramp was closed, it doesn't sound like it was. Heck, I shoulda loaded up and went on down to fish. :roll:
Yours in the South
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I agree, the rocks in the aucilla would be more worrying to me than covid19, the Dixie co ramp in Jena was packed Friday as the video on Facebook showed, I'm sure it was worse Saturday. All the closures do is compress the traffic, I'm planning on hitting St Mark's Thursday, hopefully the lighthouse ramp won't be too bad. Facebook was wild about the cases in cross city, no boat ramps there. I saw where there's counties in Tennessee with more suicides than covid deaths, the mental benefits of fishing with common sense and not partying in a cove would outweigh the slight chance of transmission. In GA the ramps are open but groups of partiers are being broke up by the DNR. I bet on blackshear right now you could have 10000 crappie and never get caught because the DNR is making sure the distancing is followed.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

DixieReb wrote:I thought the ramp was closed, it doesn't sound like it was. Heck, I shoulda loaded up and went on down to fish. :roll:
Call JR's store before you drive all the way down. The store has been purchased by a new owner named Joel. He said he wasn't sure how long the ramp was going to be open. It's going to be tough on him if he just purchased that store and then they shut the ramp down.

- Steve Stinson
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I might not be seeing the whole picture and I fully understand the powers to be truly believe that ramp closures to strangers will reduce the possibility of spreading Covid 19 but imo it will only make matters worse when the closures force people to crowd the few ramps that remain open. Apalach and PSJ have closed the public ramps to anyone from out of town (with a few exceptions like military, first responders, government or emergency workers, commercial fishermen and contractors and Carrabelle is considering doing the same next week. That's total BS! Are they testing the exempt people? IMO if you paid for a Florida fishing license, you should have the same rights to the ramps as anyone else. Where's the problem if you follow the law and keep the 6 feet social distance and the 50 ft between boats? Fine or lock up the violators and leave the rest of us to our rights. :smt011
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
cotton

Post by cotton »

I fished this weekend, launching at a remote spot. Returned to find 2-3 times the normal crowd. They are absolutely making it worse and should be held accountable.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Saw this on qualified captain page, thought I’d share
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

There are many things weird these days. But Franklin County wants you to quarantine two weeks when you go there to vaca.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Redbelly wrote:There are many things weird these days. But Franklin County wants you to quarantine two weeks when you go there to vaca.
Like quarantine for 14 days on your own property?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bbb

Post by bbb »

Red Beard wrote:
Redbelly wrote:There are many things weird these days. But Franklin County wants you to quarantine two weeks when you go there to vaca.
Like quarantine for 14 days on your own property?

If you have a vacation home, they want you to quarantine inside for 14 days when you arrive. Basically deterring you from going to it at all.

The Sheriff has several videos on Facebook saying to stay away and do not come to their county. I expect them to close boat ramps next. They talked about it at Thursdays meeting but did not take a vote.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Unreal

Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I agree with Juan. They are forcing folks to just a few ramps at one of the busiest times of year due to grouper season opening. I also don't agree with the local-only restrictions. They've done that here in Jefferson Co. to the ramp at the Wacissa River. Is our so called Public Land only public as long as they say so? It's time to start contacting politicians and agencies and letting your voice be heard. If nothing is said about this, I guarantee it will only get worse.

- Steve Stinson
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Franklin County's Commission's resolution is illegal! Florida law does not give quarantine powers to the county commission, it gives those to the local and state health departments. The Florida order only specifies those from New York, New Jersey and Louisiana, not Georgia.

Of course, all of the courts are shut down so there is no way to get legal relief from this foolishness.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Duck -
I thought the same thing about the gym and bar closures. I realize these businesses expose folks to risk, but I have a problem with the govt. shutting down legally operating businesses. Is mine next? What about yours?
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

How much do you want to file a suit in Franklin Co.?