Wakulla County Boat Ramps

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

The video attached from the Wakulla County Chamber of Commerce's Facebook Page pretty well sums up how we feel about our boat ramps being open and what our businesses will do to ensure you can come on down, fish, and do it all safely. There is also a video from Shield's Marine done the week before on the FB page highlighting what they have done to help you enjoy yourself safely. In a nutshell, almost daily, the Wakulla County Chamber of Commerce and it's members reach out to the BOCC to remind them that we all benefit from the ramps being open: businesses stay open, employees keep jobs, tax revenues are generated, and just as important: folks get to get out on the water to clear their mind and fill their freezer....
https://www.facebook.com/wakullacountyc ... 276074034/
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
bbb

Re: Wakulla County Boat Ramps

Post by bbb »

Compare this video to the one of Franklin County’s Sheriff Smith and you’d have no idea they were done around the same time and from adjoining counties.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I've always fished steinhatchee primarily but maybe I need to stick with St Mark's from now on.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:I've always fished steinhatchee primarily but maybe I need to stick with St Mark's from now on.
St. Marks is a pretty terrible place to fish, tbh.
All photos copyright @saverymill
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Since Wakulla County knows how to treat fishermen so well, we should show our appreciation by only going to St. Mark's and Wakulla County to fish even after this mess is over.
We should never go back to Taylor County fishing. There's not much fish left there anyway. Especially Spring Warrior and Yates Creek areas. salute2
Semper Fi
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

I started to disagree with you that St. Marks was a terrible place to fish......but you are about right. :smt011

I have fished there since I was a kid, so 50 plus years worth. Everyone has heard all the old codgers say how good it used to be.....because it was. As Tallahassee has exploded in population and disposable income, St. Marks has become the closest, easiest, and most convenient place to go in just about any size boat. So the fishing has suffered with more boats, more people, more pressure, more pollution, etc.

Every now and then I still like to go to the Lighthouse in my little skiff (on a weekday). It's a beautiful place filled with untouched natural beauty, and you can still catch an ole Redfish if you know where to look.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Last edited by Red Beard on April 8th, 2020, 6:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Srbenda wrote:
doomtrpr_z71 wrote:I've always fished steinhatchee primarily but maybe I need to stick with St Mark's from now on.
St. Marks is a pretty terrible place to fish, tbh.
Only for the boat props

Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Yikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

If I wanted to fish in Wakulla Co., would they let me drive through or am I gonna get turned around and told to go home? I gotta get some salt air! :o
Yours in the South
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

DixieReb wrote:If I wanted to fish in Wakulla Co., would they let me drive through or am I gonna get turned around and told to go home? I gotta get some salt air! :o
I'm going to the lighthouse in the morning, can't be worse than the cop in Warwick.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Dixie county has joined the “closed ramp mafia” as well...
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Your right Rockyg the fishing has suffered from over fishing in St Mark's. As all areas of the Gulf has.
I lived in St. Mark's many years growing up. I lived a few of those years living with Mrs. Joy Brown at Bo Lynn's Grocery. I worked at Shields Marina in 1966 - 1968. I also lived a lot of years on the Aucilla River with my Grandfather who worked his whole life as a commercial fishermen. The lower ramp, Mandalay, and much of what is now state land there belonged to our family. So I've been involved with the Gulf most of my 68 years of living. Some of you have read my short stories I've posted here about growing up in the Big Bend.
I can tell you the Gulf most folks know now, is not the Gulf I grew up with. It's just a shadow of what it used to be 50 years ago.
Not just over fishing, but a bigger part is pollution.
Semper Fi
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

DixieReb wrote:If I wanted to fish in Wakulla Co., would they let me drive through or am I gonna get turned around and told to go home? I gotta get some salt air! :o

Yes Sir, come on down. Now.... if you are showing COVID-19 symptoms or could be contagious, naturally we'd prefer you to let that pass...lol
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Neither my wife nor me have any signs of any illnesses, and I work for the Ga. park service. I don't think we are a threat to any of you folks down that way. :wink:
Yours in the South