Metal building recommendation needed.

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

rockyg

Metal building recommendation needed.

Post by rockyg »

Hi folks. I'm looking to build a 42x30 lightweight metal shop/garage behind my house in Monticello. I have a friend who can pour the slab. I don't want a "pole barn". I'm looking for a metal building on a concrete slab.

I don't know anyone in the metal building business but I'm betting some of you guys do. Please steer me in the right direction and send some business to a good local supplier/installer. I'm ready to get it built asap.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Re: Metal building recommendation needed.

Post by DEMON »

Gulf Coast Lumber, Monticello FL
997-2519
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Rocky -

I have bought two from Southeastern Buildings in Tallahassee. I can tell you the following -
- Once your slab is done and they get to your site, they are extremely quick.
- Getting them to your site takes forever. I think they wait until they get a lot of orders from one place, then ship them. It takes a long time to get a few orders together in Monticello.
- Make darn sure your slab is square before they show up.
- If you are getting 14' tall roll up doors, you will need to rent a lift and have it on site for them to use.
- Make sure you test each roll up door before the crew leaves your site. They rush sometimes and the bigger roll ups don't always get installed exactly right. The tracks and spring tension on the doors needs to be just right.
- Put in more power outlets than you think you need.
- If you want a restroom out there, do your plumbing before your slab.

I have been happy with both buildings, but it was a chore getting there.

Power and water can be put in later if need be. I have a 40' X 40' at my place if you want to come look at it.

Steve Stinson
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I have already been in contact with Gulf Coast. Steve thank you for the pointers. I would love to come over and see your shop. I will call you this week. :thumbup:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

I too used Southeastern Buildings in Tallahassee. I was very happy with how quick it went up once they had all the right parts. The first time they showed up, they had reversed the north side and south side upper frame so they had to come back later with it corrected. But it went up incredibly quick. I'd use them again.

Danibeth