Rod and Reels

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

homboyfsu

Rod and Reels

Post by homboyfsu »

Need advice on Trolling Rod and Reels and Snapper or Grouper Rod and Reels. I got a Shimano 5000 reel and a Teremar Rol.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: Rod and Reels

Post by Steve Stinson »

I have a couple Shakespeare Tiger rods that I really like for trolling. One has a Shimano Baitrunner 6500 on it and the other a level wind reel. In both cases, when you are trolling the Mann's Stretch lures or other lipped baits, the rod tip bounces along with the action of the lure enough that you can tell when you foul up on weeds. They also have enough backbone to haul in the fish once hooked.

A fishing guide that used to be in the Carabelle area (Capt. Gene Strickland) recommended these to me years ago and I haven't been disappointed. He said they were the only rods on his boat that could be pulled down on the gunnel by a grouper or amberjack without breaking.

As a bonus, they are relatively inexpensive.

https://www.tackledirect.com/shakespear ... sting.html

Good Luck in your search.
- Steve Stinson
homboyfsu

Post by homboyfsu »

Thanks, Steve for your input some people don't like Ugly Sticks but, I fished with them many times. What was the model of the Spinning Reel? Will be heading out of Carrabelle soon first trip offshore.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Steve Stinson wrote:I have a couple Shakespeare Tiger rods that I really like for trolling. One has a Shimano Baitrunner 6500 on it and the other a level wind reel. In both cases, when you are trolling the Mann's Stretch lures or other lipped baits, the rod tip bounces along with the action of the lure enough that you can tell when you foul up on weeds. They also have enough backbone to haul in the fish once hooked.

A fishing guide that used to be in the Carabelle area (Capt. Gene Strickland) recommended these to me years ago and I haven't been disappointed. He said they were the only rods on his boat that could be pulled down on the gunnel by a grouper or amberjack without breaking.

As a bonus, they are relatively inexpensive.

https://www.tackledirect.com/shakespear ... sting.html

Good Luck in your search.
- Steve Stinson
I also have two Tiger rods on the boat Gene used to own. Good stuff and affordable

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
All photos copyright @saverymill
homboyfsu

Post by homboyfsu »

What Model of Reel do you use? Any Bottom Rod and Reel?