Beware of the Pro Angler App

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Beware of the Pro Angler App

Post by silverking »

I wanted to share my recent experiences with Pro Angler Fishing App, a smartphone application with regional fishing reports and other information with fellow forum members.

During a FaceBook Live presentation on seasonal tactics at a local sporting goods store, the guide host commented about my weekly fishing reports, which I publish on my web site and share with my local marina. He informed me that Pro Angler App was routinely publishing my copyrighted work without my knowledge. I did some investigation and confirmed that the app was indeed using my reports verbatim without permission and also my likeness, along with a reference to the local marina. Neither the marina nor I were ever contacted for permission to use my weekly reports.

Pro Angler App is owned by a Canadian company called Open Oceans Apps. The basic app is free, but there is a fee for the premium version. Open Oceans is a for-profit company with directors. After considerable research through international connections I was able to uncover the company's mailing address in Toronto. With the aid of a close friend who is also an attorney, I sent two certified letters to the Open Oceans CEO demanding that the company cease and desist using my copyrighted intellectual property without permission and requested that the company contact me to work out compensation for prior unauthorized use. For the record, I am a licensed guide (retired) and an active member of the Professional Outdoor Media Association. I have been a freelance writer for more than three decades with hundreds of published magazine and internet articles.

Since this situation was potentially damaging to my hard-earned reputation in the industry, I had a consultation with a highly-qualified copyright attorney to discuss legal options. With the challenging aspects of international court systems and the legal costs versus the possible settlement, I decided not to pursue a lawsuit. After several weeks with absolutely no response from Open Oceans, my weekly reports finally stopped appearing on the Pro Angler app.

A couple weeks ago I received an unsolicited email from "Capt. Wally" urging me to sign up for the Pro Angler App. A fishing buddy received the same appeal via email. The pitch included a reference to Friends of FWC, the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission Foundation. After checking with a FWC staffer who I have worked with in the past, I learned that FWC's legal department was also looking into legal avenues to disassociate from the Pro Angler App. Like me, the agency did not enter into any agreement with Open Oceans/Pro Angler App.

Based on my experience and the subsequent tactics of the company with the FWC Foundation, I suspect there are other guides, charter operations and sport-fishing groups that are being exploited by Open Oceans without compensation or without their knowledge. It may only be fishing reports, but it is still intellectual property belonging to the authors and use without permission or compensation is theft, pure and simple.

Caveat emptor. Let the buyer beware.

Capt. Dave Lear
Last edited by silverking on September 23rd, 2020, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
ropeman

Re: Beware of the Pro Angler App

Post by ropeman »

Would you share your website so we can see your original content? Also it seems like it would be a great app because it has so much (stolen) content! That's the worst problem with putting original copywrited material on the web. First someone has to find out, then the copywrite holder has to be informed, then legal process can take forever.
slow motion

Post by slow motion »

Sorry to hear about the theft of your creativity Silver King. I have always enjoyed reading your reports on Shields site. Thanks for what you do and I hope this doesn't deter you from performing this service in the future.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Thanks for the comments. Appreciate it and yes, I will continue to write my weekly reports.

They are posted on http://www.captaindavelear.com

And also: http://www.shieldsmarina.com
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

:smt011 :smt011
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Can’t have nothing nice..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk