Yamaha 90hp two stroke repair

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I have a 2008 Yamaha 90TLR that is in need of repair or replacement. I have been told by Pete and Marvin at Sunshine that my best bet with my current issue would be to replace the engine. While money is always a consideration, I am willing to replace the motor, but there are no new motors available until December/January or even later.
I am wondering if there are any recommendations for a repair facility that might be willing to rebuild/repair my current engine. It probably needs the powerhead rebuilt and a prop shaft replaced. (I have not contacted Porters yet)
I am also hoping there might be some place that has a new Yamaha 90 for sale.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Porter Marine in Woodville 850-421-1490

They are good at getting you back on the water without breaking the bank. Not sure what’s going on with your outboard. But they are the only folks besides me that work on my motors.

Good Luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
STMU

Re: Yamaha 90hp two stroke repair

Post by STMU »

Agree with Redbeard on Porter's, and definitely won't break the bank. Mikes Marine is another option, and I would recommend getting a second opinion from anyone other than Sunshine.

Already being through the first week of October, December isn't to far off if your itching for a new one, and any repair won't be quick (especially if they need parts not in stock). I had a lot of trouble buying a Yamaha 3 years ago, and wasn't keen on waiting either. Ended up calling probably 2 dozen vendors from Ocala to Pensacola, and found a guy in Mexico Beach that had one in stock. Probably a lot harder now with Covid, but may be something to look at if going new. Good Luck!
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Get a compression check or do one yourself and always get a second opinion.

Those 2 stroke 90's are very desirable(low weight high hp) and would be worth rebuilding IMO. It's one of the very few older 2 strokes I would say that about. Powerhead replacement would be tough since they don't make them anymore.

If it does need a rebuild you can save some $$ by removing the powerhead from the engine so a shop doesn't have to do it and store your boat.
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

I have the same motor. Same year even. Spring of this year I lost the #3 cylinder due to broken ring. Called a couple of places in and around Tallahassee but nobody wanted to mess with it. Just wanted to sell me a new engine. I'm mechanically inclined so I decided to replace the powerhead myself. Was kicking around the options of sending off to have rebuilt or getting one already rebuilt.

Did some research and turns out that are still brand new Yamaha factory powerheads available. I called Shields and they checked for me while I was still on the phone (I had serial #, etc.) and there were 2 on the shelf in Atlanta. Cost was only about $350.00 more than a rebuilt. Ordered it right then and there and I was able to pick it up within a week.

Installed it with the help of my son and the motor is running great.

Call Shields and see if they can get you powerhead and install it.
edif

Post by edif »

Marine Parts Warehouse inc may be able to help you its worth a try also Sports Center in Perry Ga if you looking for New.
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Mike's marine in panacea 984-5637