Suzuki vs. Yamaha

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Suzuki vs. Yamaha

Post by fishinfool »

I need to repower my flats boat. I currently have a Yamaha 90 2 stroke.I can get a new Suzuki 115 parts and labor, (gauges, ss prop, rigging) with a 6 year warranty. I can also get a 115 Yamaha SHO parts and labor (gauges and controls not needed) with a 5 year warranty for about the same price (within about $200 of each other)
What would you do?
One Keeper

Re: Suzuki vs. Yamaha

Post by One Keeper »

Yammy :smt023
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Suzuki has been aggressive in the marine market recent years with solid engines and expanded dealer network. They also offer engines in white or black, if you're concerned about colors. The 115s I've tested are quiet, light and steady with good fuel economy. I would characterize them as dependable but not overly powerful.

Yamaha is still the leader with solid performance, good weight to hp ratio and rugged dependability. I have always tried to buy American products whenever I can, but I have a Yamaha F70 on order for my skiff.

Why the jump in horsepower? Have you compared the weight of your two-stroke vs. either the Zuke or Yammie? If it's a major difference, it could affect draft and poling on your boat.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

There are no two strokes available any more, so I have to go four. The weight increase with a 115 four stroke will be about 140 pounds. The weight difference between the four stroke 90 and the four stroke 115 is only twenty-four pounds. Since my hull has been recertified by the manufacturer from a 90 to a 115 I figure the slight bump in speed might be welcome.
Big Tim

Post by Big Tim »

My boat has a Yamaha 200 SHO. Quiet, easy start, performance, easy routine PM/repairs, pretty good fuel economy for a 200 outboard. No complaints. I hear a lot of good stuff about Suzuki too.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

The Zuke is appx 25lbs heavier at ~400lbs. The SHO is a hell of a motor and I'm a Yammy guy (biased) but the only other motor I'd run would be a Zuke.

Looks: white 115 Zuke with decal options.
Performance/weight: 115 SHO
Fuel Efficiency/weight: 90 SHO
Reliability: either
Price? No idea

All that weight adds up, gotta prioritize needs, as how often will you be running WOT ? Will the extra 4mph matter ? For me, it does bc I zoomie everywhere. I'd get on your mftr boat forum and see what some of your hull guys have done.

I don't think you can go wrong in your decision, but one may provide a bit more benefit than the other while they all provide reasonable improvements

sent from the Ketchup Packet

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Whoa, 140 pounds is adding a small person on the stern for every trip. That's a big difference. Several builders had to adjust the cockpit decks/scuppers to make the transition from two-stroke to four. Just saying. A stern-heavy boat can really affect center of gravity and performance. What's an extra mile or two top end if it's a dog getting out of the hole?

Have you considered an Evinrude? Know they've quit production, but they are supposedly supporting parts/service and you could probably get a very sweet deal. Another option to consider, although it may not be a practical one. You'd also have to swap out controls and gauges.

Tough decision, for sure. But 24 pounds between the 90 and 115 could be a huge difference if you go that route.

Good luck. Chris' suggestion to check the builder's forum for other owners who re-powered would be time well spent.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

After blowing up a Yammie F150 and repowering with a Zuke DF150, I'm biased toward the Zukes... For me, I got a much better price, better warranty, looks better and a little more speed. That being said, imo either brand are reliable. Are you selling the 2 stroke 90? I might be in the market.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Juan, PM sent.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

I'd gladly buy a Suzuki over a Yamaha if the Suzuki was cheaper(they usually are) and IMO you should shop around for a better price on a zuke.

If they are within $200 of each other you can't deny the Yamaha would have more resale value.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I ended up repowering with a yammy F150 mainly due to weight and I haven't regretted it.

A lot of working fisherman use Zukes and are very happy with their reliable service, but the ones I talked to all talked about the big price difference.

If you get the Zuke, get the white paint, because almost every black one I've seen seems to have lost their shine.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

The Suzuki base price is about 2k lower than the Yamaha. Since I have Yamaha gauges and controls I would have to swap over to Suzuki which is where the total price for each becomes closer to each other.
geofish

Post by geofish »

I repowered last year with a zuki 200. The 2k savings over Yamaha let me add a jack plate to the wahoo. I've been very pleased with the whole package.Image

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Fart Daddy

Post by Fart Daddy »

In the last year I got rid of a 3yr old Yammy for a Suzuki and I couldn’t be happier.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

You can get this Suzuki really cheap...
IMG_0886.jpg