Is this worth fixing or selling?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Juan
Site Sponsor

Is this worth fixing or selling?

Post by Juan »

Before I put this in the "For Sale" section I thought I'd ask if it's a waste of time or if it's worth fixing. It's a Garmin Striker 7sv fishfinder GPS. All I know about it is what I've read online.. Looks like they list for around $450 new. It came with a boat I recently bought and I was told it worked perfectly. It didn't have a mount so I bought a new swivel mount for it and mounted it to the console only to find that it took a few minutes for it to power up at times... I'm not familiar with a Garmin 7sv but thought the "sv" stood for "side view". I can't find the side view on the menu but the gps, traditional view, down view, and the flasher all work fine. Bottom line is it works and comes on immediately like it should at times but after it's been turned off for a while it can take up to 10 or 15 minutes before the menu screen shows up as it should and then it works fine. I don't know what's wrong with it but I don't want to wait 10 minutes for it to start working correctly so I just bought a new Humminbird. If anyone knows what might be wrong with it or knows how it to fix it, or is willing to wait a few minutes for it to power up the way it should make me an offer I can't refuse. :-D
It comes with a Garmin GT21 transducer with I believe is a 20 ft cable, new swivel mount and power cable.
I've checked the power cable and don't think that's the issue.
20201126_064626.jpg
20210102_080944.jpg
20201231_124155.jpg
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Is this worth fixing or selling?

Post by silverking »

It may be a software issue, Juan. Garmin ActiveCaptain allows users to download software fixes and that may solve the slow boot problem.

And yes SV stands for SideView in Garmin model labeling.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Thanks SK. :thumbup: I didn't think about checking for updates and that may very well be the problem since it hadn't been used in well over a year. I'll register it online and download any updates.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

The GT21 transducer has traditional 2D and down view only. Would need a different transducer that includes side view for the striker to display SV.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

This was a test. If it had been a real post, you would have been notified.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

leonreno wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 2:37 am The GT21 transducer has traditional 2D and down view only. Would need a different transducer that includes side view for the striker to display SV.
Thanks, That explains why I can't find the "side view" option! There's no slot for a SD card and I didn't see anything mentioning bluetooth capable so I'm guessing I won't be able to load any updates in it but I'm going to look into it.

EDIT: I registered it with Garmin and looked for updates but didn't see any. I give up. I don't know what's wrong with it or how to fix it. I don't feel comfortable selling it with the waiting period before the screen comes on as it should so I'll list it for sale for parts and someone can either try to figure it out or use it as is.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Juan - Call me at 850 509-3116 when you have time. I may have an offer you can't refuse. :-D
Thanks - Steve Stinson