Looking for a new house where I can park my boat

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Leoparddog

Looking for a new house where I can park my boat

Post by Leoparddog »

The Admiral and I are house shopping around Tallahassee and we are having trouble finding a house that meets all of our wants and needs. She wants a newish house ('90's or newer) with a downstairs master bedroom, 3-4 bedrooms and I want one where I can park my 22' CC boat. I don't care if I have to park in the backyard or even build a boat shed. We'd both like at least .75 acre or more but we MUST have high speed internet since I work from home most of the time and she does as well some days; we need better bandwidth than CenturyLink provides, but Xfinity works.

We are getting close to crunch time as our current house will be sold soon.

If you know of anyone selling a house that might meet the criteria or a subdivision/part of town that I can focus on that will allow me to park my boat or any hot leads, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
FishWithChris

Re: Looking for a new house where I can park my boat

Post by FishWithChris »

Holler at Barry Bevis with Bevis Realty, aka site owner and a heck of a guy. He has helped several members here find their home.

sent from the Ketchup Packet

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
PhishingNole

Post by PhishingNole »

Unfortunately, you've picked the worst possible time to buy a house and land. Prices are off the deep end high, and homes rarely sell for only asking price.

People are throwing cash at real estate right now. A lot of people believe a real estate correction (best case) or crash (at least a decent chance) is coming. Of course, it could be next month or a few years.

We've had offers on our home and land for 50% higher than we built for less than four years ago. We aren't selling or advertising, but people are desperate.

I'm damn tempted to take the cash and rent for a year or two so I can buy the dip. I'm just not confident the correction will come that quick.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Leoparddog

Post by Leoparddog »

Yes, definitely not the best time but timing the market is a risky game. Nobody knows when the next correction will be and the Mrs. doesn't like the idea of paying rent while waiting a year or two or more. That is just paying someone else's mortgage when you could be paying your own. Building a new house right now is also a bad choice due to shortages, high lumber prices and tight labor markets. For us this isn't an optional buy and we "just want a new house". She has a new job and has to be within commute distance of downtown Tallahassee. Right now we aren't and her job expects her to be "in the office" by sometime in July.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

I think you are missing the point of the sell now and rent option. Yes, when you rent you are paying someone else's mortgage. However, if you buy and the market corrects 30 or 40%, you will be paying on a mortgage that's way more than the current value of your home. Now you have lost tens of thousands if you need to sell before the market comes back in 5 (or 10) years.

I realize this is going to fall on deaf ears. There is a real estate frenzy right now just like 2005/2006, and it will end up in exactly the same place. Think 2008-2012.

I really do wish you well and I hope you find a great home.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I was in a similar situation last year. We moved from a huge lot with a massive pole barn that would hold 2 22” boats. My problem was trying to find a big lot to park a boat in midtown. So while at the rental, I kept my boat at the marina. After a few month of no boat ramp foolishness ( boat ramps were especially foolish last year w covid starting up). I decided I didn’t miss trailering at all. So we left the boat parking out of the house search. We ended up with a backyard big enough for the boat, but I’m a marina guy now. For instance yesterday, I left the house with the wife and dogs at 11:30. The ramp was a mess, but my boat was sitting in the water, full of gas and ice. I would have never left that late in the past, because of the ramp/ parking mess. There are some negatives, you can’t tinker on the boat anytime and it costs a few dollars. But in my case, it was the best decision ever. I use the boat way more than I did. And you only have t wash the boat, no trailer. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Leoparddog

Post by Leoparddog »

The Mrs. doesn't want to pay $8-$10/foot for storage, that adds up pretty quick. Yes, I don't love trailering either but I do like keeping my boat clean and working on it myself. We can afford the storage but she just isn't a fan and would rather we spend the $ to build a garage.
Leoparddog

Post by Leoparddog »

Update, still house hunting. :( We've gotten beat out by at least 2 cash offers even though we were close. We've got another on the line today and should hear back from seller tomorrow. Seen plenty of houses that would work but needed substantial remodeling to make the Admiral happy. I just need a place for my tools, guns, reloading equipment and a place to park a boat. The Admiral has other criteria, as most of them do. :D
Leoparddog

Post by Leoparddog »

Looks like we got it done, a house in Killearn Lakes. /edit.....
My initial excitement was cooled when I figured out the HOA rules provided to me were only the ODD pages. All the rules that I was looking for showed up on the even pages... Oh well, this lot will handle the boat in the backyard
Last edited by Leoparddog on June 20th, 2021, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sun Daze

Post by Sun Daze »

Leoparddog wrote: June 19th, 2021, 10:30 am Looks like we got it done, a house in Killearn Lakes. No HOA restrictions on parking a boat or building a pole barn that I can find.
When I lived in Killearn Lakes from 2000-2002, the HOA had restrictions about parking the boat in the front, or "where it could be seen from road". Granted that was 20 years ago, but I remember getting the letter. I then took a ride around Folkstone Rd. and saw numerous other boats. I ignored the letter and left boat where it was. Never heard anything again, but you may want to verify that info.
Leoparddog

Post by Leoparddog »

Sun Daze wrote: June 19th, 2021, 2:07 pm
Leoparddog wrote: June 19th, 2021, 10:30 am Looks like we got it done, a house in Killearn Lakes. No HOA restrictions on parking a boat or building a pole barn that I can find.
When I lived in Killearn Lakes from 2000-2002, the HOA had restrictions about parking the boat in the front, or "where it could be seen from road". Granted that was 20 years ago, but I remember getting the letter. I then took a ride around Folkstone Rd. and saw numerous other boats. I ignored the letter and left boat where it was. Never heard anything again, but you may want to verify that info.
10-4 on that. Killearn Lakes has multiple sections or units. We offered on one in Killearn Lakes Unit 3 (on Thunder Hill Way) that had more restrictive covenants than K.L Unit 4. Unit 3 had rules for cutting trees, which way your garage door could face and no boats in driveways - still saw plenty of parked boats though.

Just found the K.L HOA website. Yes, Unit 4 rules are some different than Unit 3 but agree with you that there are lots of boats and RVs parked in driveways around the subdivision on the Units we drove through.
squiffynole

Post by squiffynole »

As it turns out we received a courtesy notice this week from the Killearn Lakes HOA that our boat needs to be behind the house and not visible from the front yard street.
Leoparddog

Post by Leoparddog »

Thanks, Luckily this lot is big and flat enough to get one back there