Roseate Spoonbills

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

squiffynole

Roseate Spoonbills

Post by squiffynole »

Has anyone been seeing Spoonbills in our area this summer? I was excited to see several feeding during low tide today today off of Bottoms Road (wish I were a better photographer)!

Red Beard

Roseate Spoonbills

Post by Red Beard »

I have been spotting them for the past couple weeks. I was fishing around bottoms today and believe I saw that same flock myself.

Also have been noticing a lot of younger ospreys around. Maybe this time of year is when the new generation leaves the nest. Counted six of them when I was headed back to the ramp.

Younger/smaller ones were perched down low and noticed a couple adult/bigger ones perched up higher.

squiffynole

Re: Roseate Spoonbills

Post by squiffynole »

Thanks Red Beard. I was scouting boat ramps - it's been a long while since I frequented that side of the bay - and quite a coincidence that you were out on Bottoms Road too.

I was impressed with the new-to-me ramp at Shell Point but I don't favor that general locale.

The ramp at Spring Creek was torn up - not sure if it is just plain old, storm damaged or if there is some kind of construction in the works.

Bottoms ramp gets too shallow but I used to net bait on along the road which was nice.

Then I went to Mashes Sands and was happy to see the sandbar by the entrance to the Ochlockonee Bay was opened up.

The ramp just across the Ochlockonee Bridge isn't much of a ramp.

I even looked at the ramp at the community park in Sopchoppy - I'd like to explore the Sopchoppy River sometime but it looks like a long, slow trip.

Then I went up Smith Creek Road and looked at a private ramp just below the Talquin dam - it was super steep maybe too steep.

Good times!
Red Beard

Roseate Spoonbills

Post by Red Beard »

There is a boat ramp at the mouth of the river; take the right before the bridge and head past the condos at otter creek rise, than take a left on RoHo. Or you can take the left at River road (before RoHo) and it will run into RoHo . They are both dirt roads. But if you turn onto RoHo it will give you more room and a better angle to turn and back the trailer down.

Can be tricky if you have some heavy wind and strong current. But this ramp will give you access at the mouth of the river.

Also know there isn’t any room for mistakes here. If you run off the sides of the ramp it’s going to be a long day. After launching keep the boat to the mud flat on the left; the right side of the ramp has a lot of snags and broken dock debris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slow motion

Re: Roseate Spoonbills

Post by slow motion »

There's a nice ramp at the State Park. It's a few miles up from the Bay. If you want to check out the Sochoppy from there just go down river to the end of the State Park and instead of turning right to follow the Ochlockonee take the channel straight ahead as it runs into the Sopchoppy. Or take the channel to the left by the swimming area. It runs into the Sopchoppy a little further upstream. Be mindful of the swimming area. It's a no wake zone.