Charter recommendations

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Keywest 196br

Charter recommendations

Post by Keywest 196br »

My son wants to do a fishing trip for his senior trip, looking at doing 3-4 days somewhere. It would be in June after graduation, I am leaning toward a trip to the dry tortugas. I would love to hear if anyone has done this trip, and any recommendations about it. I am also open to other trips or recommendations you might have. I took him to Venice a couple years back ( highly recommend) so looking for something different.

Thanks for any thoughts
Juan
Site Sponsor

Re: Charter recommendations

Post by Juan »

I grew up fishing the Keys and have seen the fort from the water but never took the tourist tour. Should be a great tour for a history buff or for swimming and there's a ton of things to see and do in Key Weird (West) but IMO it's hard to beat Venice. :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

Another thought is maybe a trip to LA for tuna fishing? Not sure if it is the right time of year....but that's high on my bucket list.

So are the tortugas.
Snapperlr

Post by Snapperlr »

Interested in the responses to this. I am considering a trip to the Fort in June of this year also. I am beginning to look at the logistics of trailering my boat, parking, fuel..... I have not been there before but have done a number of crossings over and into the Bahamas.

Thanks.
Fish5

Post by Fish5 »

My senior wants a tuna trip, i have been on a couple of tuna trips out of Venus, the last one was at the end of February, six people on the boat all caught tuna, smallest one being 135lbs.
So i booked same company for March 12🤞
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Love some Venice, LA fishing..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keywest 196br

Post by Keywest 196br »

Thanks for the replies so far, the Venice LA. Trip was awesome and definitely want to go back, but my son wants to try somewhere new. If we end up settling on the dry tortugas, we will be staying on the boat for couple days not camping. Looking at couple different charters for that trip but would love to hear a recommendation (good or bad) if any one has done it. Open to freshwater trip also if someone has a recommendation on that. We spent a week at okeechobee and really enjoyed that trip. Just making memories while we can.

Thanks
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

If leaving CONUS is an option, Panama is due south of the Tortugas. :-D
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

An overnight tuna trip to the oil rigs is something to think about
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

Key west has couple overnite chapters to Dry Tortugas . Certainly well worth getting off bucket list. Ill be in Lake Placid Fl, 30 miles north of Okeechobee , January & February if you want go fresh water bass Fish’n. Luv to take you and your son .
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Salty Gator wrote: December 16th, 2021, 2:03 pm An overnight tuna trip to the oil rigs is something to think about
Amen to that but I think he's leaning toward dry tortugas so why don't you set up a tuna trip and invite me? I could use some fresh YFT in the freezer again.
DCP_2832.JPG
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Took two boats and ran to the Dry Tortugas from Key West several years ago. Camped and fished. It's an interesting spot, a long run out there and it can get rough. The fishing was OK, not as great as I expected. There are quite a few restrictions now, which limit where you can go.

What size/style boat do you have? That would help narrow down the possible options.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Keywest 196br

Post by Keywest 196br »

Silverking
I would be booking a charter with someone and staying on the boat not camping. Most of what I have seen is around 45’. That is one of the things I was hoping someone had was a recommendation on what charter to use. I used one of your recommendations for a captain in ft. Myers several years ago. For some tarpon and snook. ( can’t remember the captain’s name now) he did a good job for us.
Thanks.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Google says it's mostly flat! :lol: Can you camp at the National Park?

From Key West, Florida 33040 to Dry Tortugas, Florida

4 hr 49 min (74.2 miles)
via Key West - Fort Jefferson
This route includes a ferry.
Mostly flat
Use caution–walking directions may not always reflect real-world conditions
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Good luck. Wish I had some recommendations but not for liveaboards.

Glad the Fort Myers guide put you on fish. :thumbup: I know several down there, so not sure who you might have booked.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat