Lighthouse ramp

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

kenfly

Lighthouse ramp

Post by kenfly »

Haven’t been down in a while and want to launch from there in the am, but the low tide is a neg .59 at 7:50 with a se wind. My question is for the guys That go there a good bit. Will I be able to get out of there at daybreak, and what time does the gate open up down there. Really hate to have to put in at fort and make that run but wonder if worth the risk to hit the lighthouse. I’m in a seaark tunnel and don’t need a lot of water to get out, I know coming back in will be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eightwt

Re: Lighthouse ramp

Post by eightwt »

I think it’s 6 am. Should be able to with that rig. We launch our KW 1520 there with that kind of tide. The left ramp is a little better at low tides.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Might have to push the boat off the trailer with that low tide. If the wind if from the southeast it shouldn't be super low.
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Thanks guys, I’m gonna give it a go early and hope for the best

doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Just watch the curb at the end of the ramp

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Got down there about 630, gate was open, did push boat off trailer with no problem and was able to sneak out, hit a couple of bars near mouth, 1 lady and 1 nice 19-20 trout. Then wasted some time doing wrong things , went to a sea bass hole I know and got about 20-25 , then came back in to the light house after water had come back in and got couple a few trout, couple of keepers and a couple of smalls. Back at ramp just after lunch. Not a bad day but not the best. No reds , didn’t make it into the creek I wanted, to shallow , didn’t find any reds around the bars at the mouth , my boy with the first trout of the day, all fish went back to see another day, still have some in freezer to eat up

geofish

Post by geofish »

A day catching fish and making memories with your son - sounds like a home run!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dropaline

Post by dropaline »

So thats what a nice trout looks like!
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Fishing with your kids is the best. They remember this stuff forever.

I am curious why in mid December you wanted to launch at dark thirty on a neg low? I would almost guarantee you an 11:00 am launch and fishing the high water all afternoon would have produced more fish. The Sun warming the incoming water in winter almost always trumps every other factor.

But.....who am I to talk. I launched at a ramp further West mid-morning Thursday and I was the only idiot there and for the most part the only one on the water all day. Yes, it was foggy and a bit (a lot) miserable but I caught a multitude of Trout in the 3 to 5 pound range and that's a great trip no matter what the weather. (all released to make baby Trout)
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
squiffynole

Post by squiffynole »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote: December 18th, 2021, 9:44 am Just watch the curb at the end of the ramp

I thumped that thing with my skeg a few weeks ago - what function does it serve?
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

squiffynole wrote: December 20th, 2021, 8:08 pm
doomtrpr_z71 wrote: December 18th, 2021, 9:44 am Just watch the curb at the end of the ramp

I thumped that thing with my skeg a few weeks ago - what function does it serve?
I would assume for prop wash.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Leoparddog

Post by Leoparddog »

Curb is to keep you from getting your trailer wheels stuck in that soft mud. that's what I've thought. I've seen some ramps without curbs develop mud holes where the concrete ends that can be deep enough to swallow half of your wheel and then you ain't getting back out with your boat on the trailer.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Leoparddog wrote: December 21st, 2021, 2:10 pmI've seen some ramps without curbs develop mud holes where the concrete ends that can be deep enough to swallow half of your wheel and then you ain't getting back out with your boat on the trailer.
That sounds like Newport Bridge! If you get off the end of the ramp you aren't getting back up!
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

rockyg wrote:Fishing with your kids is the best. They remember this stuff forever.

I am curious why in mid December you wanted to launch at dark thirty on a neg low? I would almost guarantee you an 11:00 am launch and fishing the high water all afternoon would have produced more fish. The Sun warming the incoming water in winter almost always trumps every other factor.

But.....who am I to talk. I launched at a ramp further West mid-morning Thursday and I was the only idiot there and for the most part the only one on the water all day. Yes, it was foggy and a bit (a lot) miserable but I caught a multitude of Trout in the 3 to 5 pound range and that's a great trip no matter what the weather. (all released to make baby Trout)
You are probably Image right, but I’m one of those that just goes whenever I can no matter the tides or weather. Had plans in the afternoon so early morning it was

kenfly

Post by kenfly »

ropeman wrote:
Leoparddog wrote: December 21st, 2021, 2:10 pmI've seen some ramps without curbs develop mud holes where the concrete ends that can be deep enough to swallow half of your wheel and then you ain't getting back out with your boat on the trailer.
That sounds like Newport Bridge! If you get off the end of the ramp you aren't getting back up!
You are right it does drop off pretty bad, me and my son a few years ago where in the Jon boat I had before and went off the end. Son was to small then to really help, there was a couple of guys fishing on dock and asked them for some help. One told me to just go back a foot then go and should pop up and out. Well I did and it did work , but was also a jon boat trailer . Not sure I would do the same thing with the 2 I have now or would probably bust an axle or something