SKEG Repair

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

homboyfsu

Re: SKEG Repair

Post by homboyfsu »

Finally, got someone to answer the phone. Bad news Mr. Porter has been in the Hospital for several weeks. Talked to his grandson and he is suppose to be out in the next couple of days. If you Pray then Pray for him and his Family.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Salty Gator wrote: March 8th, 2022, 11:37 am
Juan wrote: March 8th, 2022, 9:57 am Salty and I had this discussion a long time ago and I think we agreed to disagree. Just a matter of preference imo. I don't believe the two small holes required to mount a skeg guard in the upper and thickest part of a skeg weaken the skeg any more than a weld. The way I see it, there's advantages and disadvantages to both ways:
A weld doesn't weld all the way through, the skeg is weaker at the weld because of it and welding with anything but the right cold welding equipment could damage seals.

A weld looks closer to original where a skeg guard is usually a chrome add on.
Skeg guards are weakest at the bolts where they mount but they're designed that way so that the bolts shear off. If you hit something hard enough, you'll lose the skeg guard.
Skeg guards are easy to replace but there has to be enough of the original skeg remaining to drill two mounting holes where the entire skeg can be repaired / replaced with a weld.
I could go on but as I said, I see advantages and disadvantages to both. I'll still go with a skeg guard when I can and weld if I have to.
Just don't hit any rock and it doesn't matter. :-D
Skeg guards look crappy, weld looks brand new.
It’s pretty much universally accepted ( other that Ruck) that they are weaker than the original. Do some research and don’t just try to think it through. Probably hundreds of pages with pictures on THT. Flatsbroke may have some pics. They always break right at the bolt holes. What would be a little chip on the skeg turs out to be a total replacement.
I did a ton of research on this when my skegs broke. Really no one that knows anything uses them.

Again, do your own research
On
Everyone has their own opinion and some base those opinions on experience and not just what they read on the internet or on THT. Nuff said.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

homboyfsu wrote:Finally, got someone to answer the phone. Bad news Mr. Porter has been in the Hospital for several weeks. Talked to his grandson and he is suppose to be out in the next couple of days. If you Pray then Pray for him and his Family.
Hate to hear it. Always enjoyed talking with him at the shop. Hope he makes a full recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Juan wrote: March 8th, 2022, 1:45 pm
Salty Gator wrote: March 8th, 2022, 11:37 am
Juan wrote: March 8th, 2022, 9:57 am Salty and I had this discussion a long time ago and I think we agreed to disagree. Just a matter of preference imo. I don't believe the two small holes required to mount a skeg guard in the upper and thickest part of a skeg weaken the skeg any more than a weld. The way I see it, there's advantages and disadvantages to both ways:
A weld doesn't weld all the way through, the skeg is weaker at the weld because of it and welding with anything but the right cold welding equipment could damage seals.

A weld looks closer to original where a skeg guard is usually a chrome add on.
Skeg guards are weakest at the bolts where they mount but they're designed that way so that the bolts shear off. If you hit something hard enough, you'll lose the skeg guard.
Skeg guards are easy to replace but there has to be enough of the original skeg remaining to drill two mounting holes where the entire skeg can be repaired / replaced with a weld.
I could go on but as I said, I see advantages and disadvantages to both. I'll still go with a skeg guard when I can and weld if I have to.
Just don't hit any rock and it doesn't matter. :-D
Skeg guards look crappy, weld looks brand new.
It’s pretty much universally accepted ( other that Ruck) that they are weaker than the original. Do some research and don’t just try to think it through. Probably hundreds of pages with pictures on THT. Flatsbroke may have some pics. They always break right at the bolt holes. What would be a little chip on the skeg turs out to be a total replacement.
I did a ton of research on this when my skegs broke. Really no one that knows anything uses them.

Again, do your own research
On
Everyone has their own opinion and some base those opinions on experience and not just what they read on the internet or on THT. Nuff said.
I’ve had my skeg repaired 4 times. Every time I was talked out of a skeg guard by people that know more than me ( including the dealer and pathfinder boats). A skeg guard is an lazy fix. Traps saltwater, it’s ugly and it probably weakens the skeg., really no advantage at all except for ease….The hull truth is a forum from people from all over the world. Not just Tallahassee. Thousands of members not like this little local forum. You can actually get real answers there. Dumb opinions get blown out of the water quickly, and folks can be down right rude. But you can get more info on boating than anywhere else. There are many boat builders ( from all over the world)…. Unlike some, I’m not hard headed enough to listen to the people they know more than me, especially when the evidence is overwhelming. Nuff said
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

homboyfsu wrote: March 8th, 2022, 1:24 pm Finally, got someone to answer the phone. Bad news Mr. Porter has been in the Hospital for several weeks. Talked to his grandson and he is suppose to be out in the next couple of days. If you Pray then Pray for him and his Family.
Hope he pulls it out. Tough dude
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Salty Gator wrote: March 9th, 2022, 9:39 am I’ve had my skeg repaired 4 times.
Probably broke at the same place (the weld) each time.
Salty Gator wrote: March 9th, 2022, 9:39 am A skeg guard is an lazy fix. Traps saltwater, it’s ugly and it probably weakens the skeg., really no advantage at all except for ease….
For the record: All untrue. Do some more "research" :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Juan wrote: March 9th, 2022, 7:39 pm
Salty Gator wrote: March 9th, 2022, 9:39 am I’ve had my skeg repaired 4 times.
Probably broke at the same place (the weld) each time.

Not the case Rick you are making assumptions. You are in the minority believe it or not.
Salty Gator wrote: March 9th, 2022, 9:39 am A skeg guard is an lazy fix. Traps saltwater, it’s ugly and it probably weakens the skeg., really no advantage at all except for ease….
For the record: All untrue. Do some more "research" :-D
It is a lazy fix: it weakens the lower unit( plenty of pics available), it does trap salt and sand and most definitely ugly. And they definitely offer no advantage. Which part is untrue? Maybe you should do some research. Or offer up your “ experience “ and offer up some sort of advantage. I seriously can’t think of any advantage at all except for ease of install. There is a reason those cheap ugly things don’t come standard on outboards, they are junk. But they are sold because there is someone that will buy it.

Seems like the op has made up his mind, with others here supporting my opinion,( no one supporting yours) but if you want to argue more we can do it privately. No reason to bore everyone with the same crap we did last time
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

One of y'all engineer types develop a "break away" skeg. 2 bolts. Will break off when it hits and the lower unit is designed to allow it to snap away with no damage. Keep a spare on the boat at all time. Then get the engine manufacturers to offer a break away skeg option on their outboards! Like a lizard tail, just grow a new one. :smt005 salute2 :lol:
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
homboyfsu

Post by homboyfsu »

I talked to Mr. Porter grandson and he said it's doubtful that he will return to work. So if your in need of a SKEG repair please share where you are getting it repaired. Please share you thought on how well the person did your repair on your SKEG?
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I had heard some time back that Wavel's son was working with him. Is this still the case?
homboyfsu

Post by homboyfsu »

Went I talk to his grandson he told me the Mr. Porter was the only one that did this repair. I talk to Shields and Parkway they both told me they send the Lower Unit off and Shields gave me a estimate of $250.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

homboyfsu wrote:Went I talk to his grandson he told me the Mr. Porter was the only one that did this repair. I talk to Shields and Parkway they both told me they send the Lower Unit off and Shields gave me a estimate of $250.
Whew man that's really unfortunate. Isn't there a newer welder in St Mark's / crawfordville doing metal work ?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
homboyfsu

Post by homboyfsu »

Don't know? Been asking for a Tig Welder. Found none with any experience. If I found someone I will post his or her name if the work is great.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Not very familiar with the repair, but if it just welding then check with Weems Metal Fabricators in Tallahassee. Great welding skills, good prices.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
homboyfsu

Post by homboyfsu »

I called this company and the guy send me a email that he charges $185 per hour for labor. If I let him fix the Skeg I am going to update this tread.