SKEG Repair

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

homboyfsu

SKEG Repair

Post by homboyfsu »

I bought a Skeg Guard but I going to need to get the Skeg repaired. Any recommendation?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: SKEG Repair

Post by Salty Gator »

Porter’s
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Salty Gator wrote:Porter’s
Best answer around here. Image Agreed on Porters

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

By the way, there are a lot of people that say a skeg guard weakens the skeg because of the holes you drill. Also traps
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Salty Gator wrote: March 6th, 2022, 11:56 am By the way, there are a lot of people that say a skeg guard weakens the skeg because of the holes you drill weaken it. Also traps salt and sand where it can’t be washed out. If it were me, I’d repair the skeg and toss the guard. Last I had mine done it was $50 good luck

Crap that was supposed to be an edit not a quote
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

Salty Gator wrote:
Salty Gator wrote: March 6th, 2022, 11:56 am By the way, there are a lot of people that say a skeg guard weakens the skeg because of the holes you drill weaken it. Also traps salt and sand where it can’t be washed out. If it were me, I’d repair the skeg and toss the guard. Last I had mine done it was $50 good luck

Crap that was supposed to be an edit not a quote
Absolutely the truth! Besides that you can fix it properly cheaper than what the skeg guard cost in most cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
homboyfsu

Post by homboyfsu »

Thanks for all the advice! Will return the SKEG Guard. One minor question does Porter's return his calls? I called 2 times in a week.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

homboyfsu wrote:Thanks for all the advice! Will return the SKEG Guard. One minor question does Porter's return his calls? I called 2 times in a week.
They definitely run on their own schedule. I’d keep calling until someone answered. Good luck

Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Personally, I'd keep the Skeg Guard. Instead of a shiny chrome look, a welded repair will make it look more like the original but if and when you hit something again, it will probably break at the weld where a Skeg Guard is designed to break off at the bolts holding it on to the lower unit and if a weld repair isn't done with a cold metal welder, the heat could easily damage the lower unit seals.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Juan wrote: March 8th, 2022, 7:11 am Personally, I'd keep the Skeg Guard. Instead of a shiny chrome look, a welded repair will make it look more like the original but if and when you hit something again, it will probably break at the weld where a Skeg Guard is designed to break off at the bolts holding it on to the lower unit and if a weld repair isn't done with a cold metal welder, the heat could easily damage the lower unit seals.

The holes are in the skeg, which weakens it. We’ve been down this road before Rick. There are pages and pages on The Hull Truth, and it is pretty much accepted( remember all the pics I sent you w skegs ripped off at the holes where it was drilled)OP,,, Read all you want and form your opinion.
Last edited by Salty Gator on March 8th, 2022, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Last edited by Salty Gator on March 8th, 2022, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

Salty Gator wrote:
Juan wrote: March 8th, 2022, 7:11 am Personally, I'd keep the Skeg Guard. Instead of a shiny chrome look, a welded repair will make it look more like the original but if and when you hit something again, it will probably break at the weld where a Skeg Guard is designed to break off at the bolts holding it on to the lower unit and if a weld repair isn't done with a cold metal welder, the heat could easily damage the lower unit seals.

The holes are in the skeg, which weakens it. We’ve been down this road before Rick. There are pages and pages on The Hull Truth. OP,,, Read all you want and form your opinion.
Absolutely! I’ve been down that road. Skeg guards are not the answer. They actually make it worse. If I can dig up pics I’ll show ya.

2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Salty and I had this discussion a long time ago and I think we agreed to disagree. Just a matter of preference imo. I don't believe the two small holes required to mount a skeg guard in the upper and thickest part of a skeg weaken the skeg any more than a weld. The way I see it, there's advantages and disadvantages to both ways:
A weld doesn't weld all the way through, the skeg is weaker at the weld because of it and welding with anything but the right cold welding equipment could damage seals.

A weld looks closer to original where a skeg guard is usually a chrome add on.
Skeg guards are weakest at the bolts where they mount but they're designed that way so that the bolts shear off. If you hit something hard enough, you'll lose the skeg guard.
Skeg guards are easy to replace but there has to be enough of the original skeg remaining to drill two mounting holes where the entire skeg can be repaired / replaced with a weld.
I could go on but as I said, I see advantages and disadvantages to both. I'll still go with a skeg guard when I can and weld if I have to.
Just don't hit any rock and it doesn't matter. :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Juan wrote: March 8th, 2022, 9:57 am Salty and I had this discussion a long time ago and I think we agreed to disagree. Just a matter of preference imo. I don't believe the two small holes required to mount a skeg guard in the upper and thickest part of a skeg weaken the skeg any more than a weld. The way I see it, there's advantages and disadvantages to both ways:
A weld doesn't weld all the way through, the skeg is weaker at the weld because of it and welding with anything but the right cold welding equipment could damage seals.

A weld looks closer to original where a skeg guard is usually a chrome add on.
Skeg guards are weakest at the bolts where they mount but they're designed that way so that the bolts shear off. If you hit something hard enough, you'll lose the skeg guard.
Skeg guards are easy to replace but there has to be enough of the original skeg remaining to drill two mounting holes where the entire skeg can be repaired / replaced with a weld.
I could go on but as I said, I see advantages and disadvantages to both. I'll still go with a skeg guard when I can and weld if I have to.
Just don't hit any rock and it doesn't matter. :-D
Skeg guards look crappy, weld looks brand new.
It’s pretty much universally accepted ( other that Ruck) that they are weaker than the original. Do some research and don’t just try to think it through. Probably hundreds of pages with pictures on THT. Flatsbroke may have some pics. They always break right at the bolt holes. What would be a little chip on the skeg turs out to be a total replacement.
I did a ton of research on this when my skegs broke. Really no one that knows anything uses them.

Again, do your own research