WiFi boosters and antennas

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

WiFi boosters and antennas

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Anyone have any experience with them?

We have a guest house that is attached to our primary house by a 15' breezeway. We don't have much technology there because it is really only used by grandparents and other out of town guests. About to undergo some remodels in our house and moving into the guest house for a couple months. My son and wife demand internet TV and I'm trying to avoid another monthly service. Both houses are made of block if that makes a difference.

Would love to hear thoughts. Thanks in advance.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
FishWithChris

Re: WiFi boosters and antennas

Post by FishWithChris »

Honestly you may be better run lan/cat6 cable from the house the second location, even if temporary. How far is the router from the spot ?

Are you on cable, dsl, or fiber up there ?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Help Chris. Above my pay grade. Router is probably 50-75’ away. Router is part of the area they are destroying though, so running a physical cable would be tough.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

I know with Comcast they can come out test and add a booster for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

You should move the router to the guest house while the remodeling is being done. It should be able to connect to the current cable or phone line (depending on cable or DSL) if you have either in the guest house.
DKwakulla

Post by DKwakulla »

Wifi "boosters" are snake oil. Because of the single duplex nature of wireless, that repeater can actually cause collision issues, retransmits, and TCP reconstruction issues. They are crap, full stop. I would strongly recommend against running copper out there as you expose your house's ground to lightning, and copper ethernet only goes about 300 feet.

Your best bet is going to be meshed access points. Ubiquity makes enterprise grade home equipment for this very thing. It takes some configuration/knowledge to accomplish this, but done right you will have solid connectivity in both locations.

something like this would do the trick. https://www.flyteccomputers.com/product ... int-2-Pack

To configure Ubi stuff, there is a utility to download from them. I would set them up to not offer DHCP(let your home router do it), and to do a mesh between the two. Depending on your skill level it may take some googling, but it's pretty user friendly.

source: I manage a wireless network with about 300 access points :)
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

DKwakulla wrote: March 27th, 2022, 10:32 amUbiquity makes enterprise grade home equipment for this very thing.
Ubiquiti does make a good, low cost solution. I manage 5 offices with Ubiquiti devices. I also agree with your opinion on wifi bosters!
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Thanks DK. Is the solution you reference similar to a Google Nest? I have a colleague using a Nest with good success. Is one easier to configure than the other? I have limited knowledge, but I could probably bribe one of my IT guys to come help me set up. Thanks again
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Thanks Gents. Have the Ubiquity mesh points on order.

Chris-may need help with install….I’ll try