RiP Waviel...

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

woopty
Site Sponsor

RiP Waviel...

Post by woopty »

He was really good to me and my boat..
Thank you Sir...
Take it to the hill....

https://www.familyfhc.com/m/obituaries/ ... r/Memories
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
edif

Re: RiP Waviel...

Post by edif »

You are 100% correct he was a FINE MAN he didnt always know your name but if he liked you it was always" what you need bud"he made a lot of stuff work on boats and motors that was not spose to i for one will TRULY miss him atruly GREAT PERSON !!!
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

He worked on my family's boats since the mid 80s. He would always give you the best advise even if you didn't want to hear it.

RIP Mr. Porter
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

My favorite Waivel story, believe it or not, has nothing to do with boats or fishing.

When my son Andrew was about 12 I gave him a compound bow and a target to shoot at. That Thanksgiving we fried a turkey and after draining off the good oil to save, I turned the turkey pot upside down in a burn pile behind our house to drain. Andrew being 12 and possessing a great imagination but not much forethought shot at the turkey pot with his new bow. He had to hit dead center on the side because rather than glance off one direction or another the arrow pierced the side of the 1/4 inch thick pot. :o

The only person I knew who could weld aluminum was Waivel, so I made my way down to his shop with my crippled pot in tow.

Waivel "Good Lord, son what happened to this thing?"
Me "Well uhhhhmmm Sir, my son shot a hole in it with his bow and arrow. I am real sure at the time he imagined it was a bear or something getting ready to attack him!"

Waivel laughed out loud and chuckled the entire time he worked on the pot, then handed it back to me without charging me for the repair. He said it was worth the entertainment. :thumbup:

A couple weeks later I ran into him early one morning eating breakfast at Savannah's. He asked me how the great turkey pot hunter was doing. So I guess Andrew was known as the great turkey pot hunter for a while down in Woodville.

Rest in peace Waivel - You were a great mechanic and a kind soul.

- Steve Stinson
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

He will be missed, very good man, had done some great work for me and the past and had the most respect for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BeeeReady

Post by BeeeReady »

Way back in 2008 the Backcountry took a good rock bashing to the 90 Ficht. It looked like a pretty bad hit, the skeg was about gone and a dime sized hole in the front of the lower unit. I took it to Waviel hoping for the best but expecting the worst. Waviel checked it out, and after a great amount of laughing at me and intermixed foul language he said he would give it a go. Two weeks later I got the call from Waviel to pick up my motor. When I showed up and saw the masterful job that was done I couldn't believe my eyes. We chatted for a bit and had a laugh or two. He asked me about the 2 spare props I had brought and put in the boat. I told him I only needed one and he was welcome to keep the other. He looked at me and said "thats very nice young man!" He said there was hope for me because my mother raised me right. He also told me rocks move around at night and not to speed around like a dumbass. When it was time to pay he said that'lle be one Lazer II prop. I looked at him and said take something, but he refused. He smiled and told me to get out of there my ugly boat was taking up precious space and shook my hand. Old school, a treasure, a dying breed from the greatest generation, and a kind good soul. Semper Fidelis sir.
Backcountry 189 Pro Guide
Suzuki Df140
Semper Fi
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

BeeeReady wrote: April 21st, 2022, 9:44 am a dying breed from the greatest generation,
Sad but true. I hope someone in the family will take over, but not sure that will happen.