Hurricane Ian

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Hurricane Ian

Post by Cranfield »

I hope everyone is safe and not had too many problems with this storm.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: Hurricane Ian

Post by fishinfool »

Cranfield. It looks like we will not experience any devastating affects from Ian in our area. Unfortunately that can not be said about the majority of southwest and central Florida.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to those who are affected.
squiffynole

Post by squiffynole »

Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

yup, I was out there last night and was shocked at how low the water was

SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Sjb from the cape
9C572AA8-8504-4334-B22A-8FBAE335EB53.jpeg
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
FTReelty

Post by FTReelty »

So it got sucked out from there to Keaton? What happens to habitat and fishing in the next couple weeks, months? Is it like a "wildfire" in the swamp-good for everything in long run?
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

I would guess how it affects the fishing would depend on how long the water stays gone....at least as far as the grasses go I would think. The water will come back. And possibly in a rush. My dad was out at the lighthouse this morning and he walked the flats. He found big flounder on the sand, little snappers, shrimps, crabs....all sorts of things. I saw lots of eels out there last night (I had no clue how many eels there were in this area), fishes, shrimps all up on the grass. I guess the water got sucked out quick enough that the critters didn't have a chance to get out? Or maybe it just kept dropping as the tide dropped towards low tide....and just kept going. I dunno.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Ochlocknee Bay was just the river channel.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Got little or nothing at my place on St. James Island. However, the place at Daytona Beach got whooped bad. Many units in the condo had leaking hurricane sliders and got a lot of water intrusion. Power was off about 3 days. The Sunglow Pier last its last 1/3 to the storm. Our building did ok as far as damage to the pool and seawall. The neighbors on either side weren't so lucky. One seawall got under washed, but another got washed away and their pool slide into the beach. Still nothing like the Ft Meyers area.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!