Cats going missing

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FishWithChris

Cats going missing

Post by FishWithChris »

For those of you hitting St Mark's and general area... There has been several reports of catalytic converters being stolen.
Within the last 24hrs I've seen posts from:
- St Mark's Fort boatramp
- the 4-way stop sign roadside parking at the Fort
- St Mark's trailhead near the Shell on Woodville Highway / Capital Circle.

Law and Park enforcement is aware, but just be mindful.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
slow motion

Re: Cats going missing

Post by slow motion »

Thanks for the heads up.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Based on your subject title, I immediately thought my wife and I were the culprits. But no...

Two small cats approached us at the HWY 90 Ochlockonee River boat ramp two weeks ago. Took them to the Leon County Animal Shelter to get them spayed/neutered and cared for, then recently returned them to the boat ramp, per direction from the shelter.

To readers: those little cats (black female, calico male) are precocious and healthy. Ready for a home if you visit the ramp and are a cat person (sorry, I'm not). Shelter said they were too well-behaved to be feral, but there are no houses at the boat ramp, so not apparent that they have owners.

Apologies if you are the owner and reading this, but at least they won't proliferate now.
JeffB
Site Sponsor

Post by JeffB »

Good on you Gary for taking the time and going to the expense to care for those kittens.
I am not (wasn't) a cat person either but my wife loves cats. She had 2 that died last year and she wanted another.
A client of mine that owns a farm had one hanging out at his barn and my wife "rescued" it.
She's sitting in my lap as I type this. lol
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Wow, thanks for the heads up, be pretty pissed off start my truck and hear that sound , hate a damn thief

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Jeff, I totally get it. I am very much not a cat person, but if my wife had pushed harder, we would have kept those kittens. Perhaps we all have an instinct to care for a life that needs help.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

GaryDroze wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 1:47 pm Based on your subject title, I immediately thought my wife and I were the culprits. But no...

Two small cats approached us at the HWY 90 Ochlockonee River boat ramp two weeks ago. Took them to the Leon County Animal Shelter to get them spayed/neutered and cared for, then recently returned them to the boat ramp, per direction from the shelter.

To readers: those little cats (black female, calico male) are precocious and healthy. Ready for a home if you visit the ramp and are a cat person (sorry, I'm not). Shelter said they were too well-behaved to be feral, but there are no houses at the boat ramp, so not apparent that they have owners.

Apologies if you are the owner and reading this, but at least they won't proliferate now.

Male Calico cats are extremely rare. They have to have 3 sex chromosomes XXY ( normally they have 2 XY). The different colors are carried on the X chromosome( females are XX)My guess is that the calico is a female. But if it’s really a male, it would be like winning a lottery with no money involved. Super rare
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
jimlen

Post by jimlen »

Salty Gator wrote: January 4th, 2023, 1:24 pm Male Calico cats are extremely rare. They have to have 3 sex chromosomes XXY ( normally they have 2 XY). The different colors are carried on the X chromosome( females are XX)My guess is that the calico is a female. But if it’s really a male, it would be like winning a lottery with no money involved. Super rare
Very interesting, I did not know that Calico males are so rare.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

jimlen wrote: January 19th, 2023, 12:58 pm
Salty Gator wrote: January 4th, 2023, 1:24 pm Male Calico cats are extremely rare. They have to have 3 sex chromosomes XXY ( normally they have 2 XY). The different colors are carried on the X chromosome( females are XX)My guess is that the calico is a female. But if it’s really a male, it would be like winning a lottery with no money involved. Super rare
Very interesting, I did not know that Calico males are so rare.
Almost nonexistent
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Geno67

Post by Geno67 »

Learn something new every day. That's quite interesting about the male calicos. Good job with the spay/neuter/return Gary.
Tide-Dancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tide-Dancer »

Is there a new Chinese restaurant in town? :D :D :D :D :D :D