Jim Woodruff Dam Back Open

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Just thought everyone should know that the dam is back open and they are wearing out the stripers over there. My dad reports them being caught on 1 1/2 ounce white bucktails with a white worm trailer.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Tom, its interesting that you have put this information regarding stripers on the freshwater forum.
I always thought striped bass were sea fish.
Tell me more please.
BigbaitBigfish

Post by BigbaitBigfish »

I think they're basically freshwater around here but also caught in the sounds and such along the east coast, right? I've never seen or heard of one caught anywhere near the coast around here........
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

There is one or two every now and again caught out the St. Marks River and Apalachicola River down close to the mouth, but for the most part they are all freshwater fish.

Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

I surf fish for the European Sea Bass,which does not grow as big as the Striper, in the UK and in northern Spain.
There have been reports of Stripers around the west coast of France,Spain and Portugal.
The sea on that coast is the Atlantic Ocean.
Hard to believe they made the crossing.

There has been some attempts to farm them in Europe, perhaps these are escapees.

It is my ambition to catch one, is there a season or most productive time of the year?
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Right Now is the best time to catch a big striper in the river because the big females are moving up the rivers to spawn. From now through March should be good.
Tom Keels
Site Founder