Pike fishing 9th January

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

I went pike fishing today on the River Medway.
I caught four pike 2 jacks between 6 and 8 lbs, 1 at 14-12 oz and the biggest at 19lb-7oz.

All fish were caught on seafish deadbaits. I used sardine and herring, "popped up" off the bottom.
The tackle I use is 2 x 12ft 3lb test curve carbon rods, Shimano 4500 baitrunners, 12lb mono to 20lb wire traces.
I have the end hook as a size 6 treble,which is placed on the "shoulder" of the bait.I also have a single hook size 4 which is placed in the root of the baitfishes tail.
This single hook takes the weight of the bait.
The bait is hanging head down prior to casting.
There is a 2oz running weight on the mono,stopped by a bead from hitting the swivel between the mono and wire.

"popped up", means that I place a piece of dowel rod down the throat of the deadbait.
On the end of the dowel is a small staple (the sort that staples paper),mono is tied from the staple to the eye of the treble hook. This ensures that you don,t lose the dowel and a fish doesn,t ingest it.

"Popping up" the bait in a lake can lift it above any bottom weed.
In a river it lets the bait wave in the current, making it more enticing.
Well, thats the theory anyway.:grin:
I hope my freshwater reports are "eligible".