Shoal bass

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

According to bigfishtackle.com, what we scall a shoal bass is refered to as a "Chipola Bass" . This is most likely what the mystery fish was.

A 20" shoal bass is a definite "string-stretcher" when caut on spinning or bait-casting tackle.

This is probably my favorite fresh-water species to pursue. Being from Albany area the Flint is pretty easy to access for me. they readily take anything it thinks it can eat not just swallow . I have caught several of these fish on large jointed Rebels aand Rapala's that weren't even as big as the plug.

One of my old fishing partners says "He don't know how little he is. His eyes are in the front of his head sop he can' see behind him"

They are lots of fun on top-water plugs ,explosive strike and outstanding fighter and jumper.

If anyone wants to come to the Flint and catch a few let me know.
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

The Flint is one of my favorite places to fly fish for bream and bass. I put in above Bainbridge, run up a good ways, then spend the morning or afternoon, drifting down. I use a small popping bug (The "Ultimate Popper")and do well, most of the time.
I do best when the water is moving, and clear.
Old Dog
dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

Dog,
I normally fish between Warwick and Albany.
You are right,fast and clear works best for the red bellies and shoalies.
It's a small world, unless you had to paint it.