Bush hooks and trot lines around Tallahassee...

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Seminolefish

Bush hooks and trot lines around Tallahassee...

Post by Seminolefish »

Long time reader, but rarely post here on the forum. I was hoping some of the freshwater experts could give some guidance on bush hooking and trot lines around the Tallahassee area....

Im interested in targeting catfish this spring and summer, mainly so I can fill my freezers and eat more fish in my diet. I have run a few lines before, but with very limited success. Ohclockonee river and Lake Talquin would be the most convenient for me. I have always heard there are a lot of Catfish on Talquin, and they really areant fished for much...

I have a 15 key west flats boat with a nice Lowrance fish finder and its smaller than most bass boats (to get in and out of small ramps/creeks.)

Can anyone give me advice on areas to focus? Baits? How long should I let them sit? Should a line sit on the bottom, or a few feet below the surface? I am aware no trot lines on Talquin during the day, and name/address must be afixed, etc. Thanks for the help!

Adam
One Keeper

Re: Bush hooks and trot lines around Tallahassee...

Post by One Keeper »

Seminolefish here's my advice for what it's worth.... I fish bushhooks a lot during the winter/cold months on lake Talquin and do quiet well catching channel/blue cats. I usually look for tree's with what i call water turkeys in them and tie your hooks under those tree's, you can't miss these birds because about a hour before dark there is litterally thousands od them roosting in the cypress tree's all over the lake, But be warned when fishing under these birds i wear a rain jacket as they tend to drop a lot of stuff in the water :smt009 , this stuff is what brings in the catfish. As for bait i usually use fresh cut bass shiners and make sure the bait is at least a foot off the bottom. Normally i fish in mostly shallow water 5 foot or less. Let me warn you about the gators when the weather starts warming up, If you leave a catfish on a bushook for any length of time either the line, tree, or catfish will be broke, cut or mauled when you go check it. so I would advise checking them quiet often. I hope this helps you out and keep us posted.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

FYI
Nongame fish may be taken:
■By bush hook, setline or trotline baited with cut bait or other substance; but not including live game fish or any part of any game fish; bush hooks, setlines or trotlines (limited to 25 hooks total) are permitted for taking nongame fish for personal use, but only in those areas where trotlines may be lawfully used in accordance with the Wildlife Code of the State of Florida. Refer to the "Commercial Freshwater Fisheries Rules and Regulations Summary." Bush hooks, setlines and trotlines must be clearly and legibly marked with the harvester's name and address while being used or possessed in or upon the waters of the state
http://myfwc.com/fishing/freshwater/reg ... king-fish/
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Seminolefish

Post by Seminolefish »

Thanks for the tips so far...

I went out to Talquin on Saturday and managed a nice 5 lb channel cat on a cut bass shiner. Also got about a 5lb bass on a live shiner...I was fishing on the edge of the old river channel, around 20 feet deep. So far I have been staying on the south side of the lake where its much deeper..

What about the Apalachicola River, has anyone had any luck Catfishing out there? I'd love to catch one of those big Flatheads but I haven't got a clue on what portions of the river hold cats, or even what boat ramps are available.