Piney-Z 4/29, 4/30, and 5/1

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

cody0707

Piney-Z 4/29, 4/30, and 5/1

Post by cody0707 »

I went out to Piney-Z on 4/29. I got out there about 12:30ish pm and fished till about 1:30. I didn't want to lug my tackle box around the lake so I rigged up one weightless/weedless motor oil/red senko. I started on finger 3 where the boat launch is. After a few cast and not seeing any kind of structure for fish I headed down the trail. Stopped at finger 4 and had a look around, nothing really caught my eye. I kept walking and found what I was looking for. On the left side as your walking out the finger is some downed tree branches. After about 10 min of working the senko I caught this little guy, snapped a few pictures then back in the lake.

Kept fishing for a few more min. My weedless rigged senko ended up snagging one of the tree branches so I ended up snapping the line trying to get it back. I called it a day as I didn't feel like walking back to the truck and returning to the finger.

I went back out on 4/30. I got out there about 8:50 am. I went straight to the spot I fished the day before. The bass were hitting in the area. I rigged up with the same motor oil/red senko. There were a few gators off in the distance. The wind was calm and the air was cool. I fished the same downed trees and caught a bass resembling the one I caught the day before. Possibly even the same bass. He must be hungry. Got a few pictures then back to the water. Kept fishing the area as fish were still hitting all around. I hooked on to another bass and got him close to the bank before he shook the hook. Had to leave to go to a doctors appointment. I kept telling myself "okay, last cast then I have to go". After about 10 more of those cast I packed it up at 9:45 am.

Here is the fish for day 2:

I need to get a kayak. There is a group of Cyprus trees out in the lake that I would love to get to and find out what kind of fish they are holding up. I plan on going back out there this morning. I will report back later on if I catch anything.
Last edited by cody0707 on May 1st, 2012, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
cody0707

Re: Piney-Z 4/29 and 4/30

Post by cody0707 »

Well I went out to Piney-Z again this morning. Parked the truck at 8:10 a.m. There wasn't a whole lot of movement out in the water until about 8:40ish. I was back at the truck at 8:55. Caught this bass on you guessed it, motor oil/red senko. He was a little bigger then the other 2 by about a pound or so.

Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Re: Piney-Z 4/29, 4/30, and 5/1

Post by Sir reel »

Thanks for the report and the pictures. You know they make small tackle boxes that will fit in your back pocket. :thumbup: Water sure looks calm. That's a great way to start the day... sort of clears your mind and gives you a positive attitude to begin the rest of the day. I use to stop at Lake Ivanhoe in Orlando on my way to Disney during the construction days and fish for 30-45 mins.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
CoastalPirate
Site Sponsor

Post by CoastalPirate »

A lot better than I have done there in 2 years! Great report. :beer: :beer:
The hunt for the notorious green whale never ends.
Instagram: mikemincy
Youtube: MrCoastalPirate
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

Great report....sorry I missed it last week.
Lol

Hey I've done really well there on the banks of piney z. The fish are there!
Unforunately the water isn't.
Since the water has went down, it has made the lake a lot tougher from the bank.
I have always done best from finger 4 including a 6lber I got there last winter.....and a bunch of 3lbers last fall.
I haven't been in the last few months.
I'm takin my yak there soon.

There has always been big fish in there and last year when they drained munson they electroshocked 10+ bass in the double digits out of there and moved them to pineyz.

Now pineyz is drying up.....I wish they'd move the bass back to munson.
Lol.

Good luck!
J Holden

Post by J Holden »

That's a darn good turnout for the brown sludge that is currently Piney-Z!

Wish I could have fished it in its glory days back before they "improved" it. I've heard tell of 50+ fish days there years ago.