AJ Henry Park 6/8/2012

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

cody0707

AJ Henry Park 6/8/2012

Post by cody0707 »

Went out to AJ Henry to fish a little bit before work. I got there about 2:00 pm. Nice breeze and overcast sky. I was there mainly to practice throwing my baitcasting setup, an old Shakespeare Axiom setup I picked up about 3 years ago but never really bothered to learn how to use. I had the setup rigged with 12lb mono line and the drag was set at 3lbs. I fished with a Senko, tried a jerk bait but it was to light for the baitcast setup, and then threw a white spinner bait.

Nothing was biting on the senko no mater were I put it. I then started to fish with the spinner bait, trying to get it as close to the tree limbs as possible. I cast out past where I was thinking fish would be and then reel it past the structure I was fishing.

On my last cast I threw my bait about 20ft from where I was. The tree I was fishing was about 5ft from where I was. I was 5ft in on my retrieve when the spinner bait was hit hard. I set the hook and the fight was on. The fish was pulling out drag and headed for the same tree structure I was going to swim the bait by. I had no choice and tightened the drag. Fought the fish a little longer then snap. The top of my rod broke. I got the fish to the dock as quick as possible after that. A few pictures and a weight then back in the water. The fish weighed 2lbs. I am guessing the rod was just a combination of cheap and old.

Time to start shopping for a new rod and reel. I had a great time.
J Holden

Re: AJ Henry Park 6/8/2012

Post by J Holden »

Looks like a good time, always meant to try out there. It's amazing how many fish are in little ponds all over this town. You might want to check out Berkley's Lightning Rod Shocks (easy to recognize, orange and black) they are cheap ($40 or so), super sensitive and hell for stout. I picked up a 7 foot MH casting rod from Walmart a few weeks ago and paired with a Revo STX & braid it's become my favorite rod for spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. Like it more than my Abu Veritas that I spent twice as much for, LOL.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I WAS GONNA SAY, YA CAN GET A GREAT LITTLE ROD AT WALLY MART FOR ABOUT $10
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Nice. I need to try freshwater when I can't get out the saltwater...like today.
The Back Porch