where to catch bowfin (mudfish)

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

swo81

Re: where to catch bowfin (mudfish)

Post by swo81 »

Thanks for all the replies. Got a nice one around 8lbs today at piney. Great fight with quite a few jumps.
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Lake Munson has plenty and big!
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

I once pushed a jon boat a 1/2 mile through what was nominally known as a creek but in reality was a slimy mud filled canal to fish in a secret super hot pristine bass lake NW of Lake Butler,Fl. I was following my dad pushing his jon boat and because I decided to load my boat with trolling motor and "500lb" car battery I got behind. I came around the final corner where the boat would actually start floating and found my dad fishing... decked out only in his mud stained wifebeater and boxer shorts. The mud was so bad the first thing he did when he got in the boat was strip down and wash his clothes. "Bass" were hitting everywhere... all we caught were IFGA record class mudfish all day long... I couldn't fish for thinking about the long push back to the truck!

But if you want to tie into to some big mudfish take a trip up to Fargo to the Okefenokee Swamp where you can fish off of the dam and the canals at the headwater of the Suwannee River... they got some serious mudfish up there along with catfish and "warmouth" perch. I suspect there is plenty of water right now.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
WildMan

Post by WildMan »

They are definitely in Piney Z. I caught one with a live bream weighted to the bottom. Also, I saw a guy catch one floating a bream with a cork.
cotton

Post by cotton »

I fish for them often when I can find a large concentration of them for kayakwars. Large bowfin are a much bigger challenge than bass to land and release. Before the big rains it was not uncommon to catch a half dozen in a few hours. Now there spread out over hundreds of acres of shallow water. Still you can find a few every once in a while. Iamonia and Miccosukee seemed to hold the largest concentrations back when they were down.
Artistic Violence

Post by Artistic Violence »

I've been catching a lot of these lately in Pilgrim Rest (right off of Hwy. 98/Coastal Hwy. in between the Wakulla Middle School and Rehwinkle road). They are plentiful and super aggressive.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

All were caught using a Pearl White Z-Man Streakz, except for the largest one which devoured a Z-Man Paddlerz in Redbone.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Now waiting for the mudfish recipes... ala ladyfish patties.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
swo81

Post by swo81 »

Thanks for the reply. Artistic - I sent a PM.
Artistic Violence

Post by Artistic Violence »

swo81 wrote:Thanks for the reply. Artistic - I sent a PM.
Didn't get it...
swo81

Post by swo81 »

Sorry, resent it.
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

Had to google it. Never seen one. :oops: http://bowfinanglers.com/
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

I've sight-fished for them on the Wacissa when nothing else was biting. The only thing they seem to love more than coating everyting in black slime is tearing up a $5 hildebrant spin daddy.