Piney Z Report - 4/10/13

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

WildMan

Piney Z Report - 4/10/13

Post by WildMan »

I live right around the corner from Piney Z and fish there quite often. I'll try to post weekly updates for those in the Tallahassee area. This update is a bit delayed, but I'll go ahead and post it since there aren't any recent updates for the lake.

I fished last Wednesday (4/10) afternoon from about 5 to 7 p.m. off Finger 4. I caught 3 bass--all on a tequila shad (light purple) culprit worm. Two were between 2-3 lbs, and the other was about 1.5. All were caught in and around the weeds close to the bank.

Last August, I caught a 4-5 pounder off of the end of Finger 5 using the same type of worm.

I'm new to the area and have learned a lot about local fishing from the threads on this board. Thought it was time to start contributing.

-DD
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: Piney Z Report - 4/10/13

Post by SS-342 »

Thanks for your report.

If we all have your attitude this would be an even much better forum.

You have some good thinking!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
WildMan

Post by WildMan »

Thanks SS!

Also, the water level is very high. It was almost up to the end of the wooden pier last week.

-DD
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Always love some freshwater water reports, thanks
mbweimar

Post by mbweimar »

One of the biggest bass I ever caught was out of Piney z. Caught it off the second finger on one of those chatter baits. If I recall it was dark blue or black in color and fishing it slow almost like a plastic worm.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Thanks for the report WildMan
Team Jolly Mon
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

:thumbup:
Welcome Aboard :smt006
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
WildMan

Post by WildMan »

mbweimar wrote:One of the biggest bass I ever caught was out of Piney z. Caught it off the second finger on one of those chatter baits. If I recall it was dark blue or black in color and fishing it slow almost like a plastic worm.
Awesome! About how big was it and are you talking about the finger with the pier?

I've heard from a quite a few people that noise-making baits (spinnerbaits, rattle traps, etc.) work well at Piney Z. Those and red bug worms are the most common recommendations.

I fished for a couple hours each day last weekend (4/19-4/21). Sadly, this was the slowest the bite has been in quite a while. The rain and cold front must have really killed the bite. Also, lots of folks with Spring fever... It's tough to find a decent spot.
mbweimar

Post by mbweimar »

Didn't weigh or measure it, but my finely calibrated elbow scale estimated 8-10 lbs. Seems like most of the fish I catch out of there are decent size. I slipped my jon boat in there a couple times and fished around the cypress trees across the lake and did well with Rapala X-raps.
WildMan

Post by WildMan »

Nice! No doubt in my mind there are some monsters in Piney Z. Just too many healthy fish overall for there not to be.

I had a good weekend fishing at the lake and will post an update with pictures later.